Appropriate response to a bar girl's

wonderlust

I don't think it has much to do with snobbery or even social status. It's very much to do with the nuances of Thai society. Something I can't grasp and I've been Thai-watching for a long time.

It's something uniquely their own. Iâ??ve seen enough Thai cultural traditions eroded over the years to know that change is inevitable but it bothers me a bit to see it turned into some kind of Disneyland greeting. I'm not sure how Thais feel about it. Most of them probably don't care.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...I don't think it has much to do with snobbery or even social status. It's very much to do with the nuances of Thai society. Something I can't grasp and I've been Thai-watching for a long time..."

This makes perfectsense to me as well. It seems Some Thais can't agree on this either, their opinions perhapes differing by social status or education level etc/whatever. Hence I don't see how farangs can grasp this 100% spot on, especially since, as you point out, many traditions are eroding.

in response to noone particular

awesome

a the purpose of a wai is discussed like rocket science!

If you wai to a waitress in a bar or restaurant she will consider you as a djai dee person! period

she doesnt care of you do it wrong or not, the most thais find that a very nice move from a Farang for simply trying to show respect the thai way!

If you wai to a waitress in a bar or restaurant she will consider you as a djai dee person! period

You're yoking, right? The concept of Cay Dii (Good Heart) entails a lot more than giving a wai. If you think this seriously, you are fooled by paak waan (sweet talk). No doubt your wai is appreciated as a sign of respect for Thai culture but for a Cay Dii person you need to do a lot of good. I am sure you spread around your money and seeds (oeps, this post is out of context) bountifully but there is a difference between little details in Thai culture for Farang or for Thai ppl. If you are a reader, read Meyer Beyond the Mask or Nield Mulder Inside Thai Society. There is a lot more to understand from Thai culture that meets the eye. Like Suadam says he needed to be drilled by his wife to really feel good in LoS. [sorry SD for your move back to the States while your heart is in LoS. What are all the mice gonna do when the cat is gone?]

wrong topic Topcatta (sorry no offence)

your feminine and analysing mind is going way beyond the moment! The waitress is not going to judge your entire life. For the moment she will appreciate it and move on to wait the next table! It is not about the concept of DJAI DEE, it is about showing respect! A farang waing to a waitress is showing his respect. He has a higher social standard at this moment because she is serving him, him showing his respect a this particular moment is a gesture of beeing Djai Dee! PERIOD

My mom is waying to people 63 years, she isn't a pak wan and she isn't foolish and she didn't learn about it in a book from Mayer or Marco Polo, neither did I!

She also said that you can't wai wrong as a farang, you will get the benefit for trying, the gesture will be understood!

It is about waing not the concept of djai dee!

ps

if the book is spelling it "CAY DII" i can clearly see the quality of this piece of literature! ;)

you've gotta be kidding me CT. if you wai people then they consider you jai dee. are you doing self affirmation in the mirror too, "i am smart, i am special, i am great and gosh darn it people like me..."

:rotfl:

some consider you a schmuck, dick, dumbass, or culturally ignorant whitey for your wai. you can't please everyone that is true, but i personally KNOW thais who think this way.

we've already discussed this at length and everyone should do what they are comfortable with, but that sweeping generalization just left skid marks across my belief in people's capacity to read and understand information. did you read the threat at all?? :dunno:

i guess you'll be fine though as long as you believe that sort of emperor's new clothes type approach. no hard feelings chok dee geezer.

btw, if you are worried about phasa karaoke spellings : write in ��ย �ี...

cheers,

the_numbers

Archived