Appropriate response to a bar girl's

wonderlust

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to go with the Kid (numbers) on this one. At least in terms of Thais saying jai dee, patting you on the back, then subtly laughing at you later on, and thinking/talking bad in the next breath or jesture.

Not sure If I was with the numbers or someone else, in Asoke car park a few years back, was getting the Jai dee crap from a group, while being called a fat animal by them as well...they didn't know we got that part as well.

As for dealing with low life racist up country scumbags, that is more my area of expertise than his. He (The Numbers) tends to run with a slightly more refined crowd.

>the purpose of a wai is discussed like rocket science!

and yet so many people just do not get it.

>If you wai to a waitress in a bar or restaurant she will consider you as a djai dee person! period

No, she will consider you a fool. Period.

You should not return "professional" wai's, i.e. those given as part of the "job" (and that includes waitresses, go go dancers, doormen etc etc etc).

The "cut and paste" earlier about rule number one was spot on (blunt maybe, but spot on). In my work I get wai'ed daily. And I do not return them. I do *acknowledge* them, with a smile and a nod, and maybe even a "sawadee khrap". Why? Because I am a real farang, and not a faux thai. Thai's respect me in their way, and I show respect in *my* way.

-j-

nothing wrong with your method and the way you handle it. I would not wai either, only to the parents of my thai friends or girlfriend, I also know how to do it!

I am still standing to my point, a regular waitress in a major city which used to serve farangs will appreciate the respectful gesture, maybe giggle inside about you making it wrong! A good person won't see you as a scum bag for trying to show your respect, a good person appreciates the gesture!

For those who pretend to know everything, please answer me, why is a waitress waing when you give her money?

1) she is thanking you for the money?

2) for showing respect to HM the King whiches portrait is on the bill?

3) she is thanking you respectfully that she was allowed to serve you?

4) a plain and simple thank you

5) she is saying good bye to you

6) make up your own reason!

curious for the answers

yeah I am aware of the purpose!

and thanx for the honest answer i take you out from my flaming tomorrow! i bet you a beer that all these experts above have no fucking clue either but they keep on pretending they know just because they barfined a girl once for good they believe the know anything! Perfect thread to proof who is a wannabe and who knows something. Here we are talking about basics you know and the thread was unanswered for 8 hours already! :)

CHOCK DEE :beer:

When I make a purchase at Nana Plaza, or Soi cowboy, I get a wai also...

Yeah, yeah we all get wais all the time. Question is should we be waiing back in situations where no Thai ever would?

We know some people start waiing as soon as they get on the plane (put hand luggage down, block doorway, ooops Emirates) to show how jai-dee they are as if anyone gives a shit. And others just nod politely. We need to establish some guidelines here.

Archived