Appropriate response to a bar girl's

wonderlust

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH,

Every situation is different so one has to analyze all factors that causes one to wai or not to wai...

So in the case you presented, if he (as someone who is younger and in a service role to you) wai you first, then it is not necessary to wai back. If you do wai, it would be out of acknowledgeament and politeness but not required. It might be a gain but not totally inapproriate to wai. By not waiing back, you are establishing a definite pecking order with that person...

Should you wai him first? Probably not as it is not expected. If you feel comfortable with him and see him more as an equal than someone clearly inferior, it would be optional and probably make him feel better and gain some browie points with him.

What is more important is when you should wai but do not than the opposite like to wai a servant, a child, a prostitute, another farang, etc. The latter will make you look stupid and ignorant, the former the same plus offend...

CB

CB,

I agree it depends on the situation. tHE SCENARIOS are endless. I usually wai back, if I look stupid, I look stupid.

One issue I have, is I don't like to have my ass kissed, or present myself as "above another." I had trouble with this in the Army, as I hated being saluted, especially by people I worked with on a regular basis. It all made me very uncomfortable. All in the culture and protocol I guess.

Another issue I have is farangs interpreting Thai culture as experts, or the language (unless they really can speak read write the language, then o.k.) it is just a bug up my ass when someone "corrects" me, and the skills/knowledge is as shitty as mine...just an issue. I have similar issues with forigners comming here, and telling me "how America is "Suppoed to be" and how America is supposed to this or that...which happens everyday i9n my workplace...oh, issue related tangent, sorry, what were we discussing? oh, Wais, what the hell...go for it.

Yeah "Maew" has to grovel a bit at this point despite the fact he's off to a 10 million USD pad in Kensington for his R&R. Crying for the poor bastard. Wonder if he got all that money laundered in time?? :dunno:

Back to wais.. I think she is spot on Cent even if that girl is a snob. Most thais are quick to quip or dig at farangs doing a sloppy job of adopting their customs and cultural affectations. I won't speculate as to why, but her sentiment for me was just reaffirmation of what I hear often.

Wai away... and why ask why...

Remember nobody wai Thaksin now! :grinyes:

Cheers,

theNumbers

Back to wais.. I think she is spot on Cent even if that girl is a snob. Most thais are quick to quip or dig at farangs doing a sloppy job of adopting their customs and cultural affectations. I won't speculate as to why, but her sentiment for me was just reaffirmation of what I hear often.

Mrs Tiger backs your friend's friend up. But then again, some may feel that Mrs Tiger is a snob based upon her upbringing. However, they would be far from the truth as those who have met her can verify. She just knows proper "Emily Post" etiquette, and has painstakingly trained me in it as well since she deems it of the utmost import. I'll admit it has served me well in business over the years.

Cheers,

SD - who would most certainly shake the CEO's hand

Excellent advice...I much prefer Rule number 1. I have a very few acquaintances in the South who initiate a serious heavy duty wai (fingertips to eyebrow) and I return with a serious wai (fingertips to chin). I am a professor and I am older than all of them. But that being said and done; rule number 1 works every time.

Journey

Archived