WARNING! Customs at Suvarnabhumi

llso

I think these stories might be true as a friend of mine got caught at the new airport with a bottle of alcohol that was over the percentage alcohol allowed even thou it was only a litre bottle. How the heck was he supposed to know?

He was forced to pay a substantial fine.

Make a mistake in thailand as a farang and expect to get hammered with penalties far outweighing the nature of the crime. TIT

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Palliote,

I agree in principle, especially where I am concerned (got your comment in other words :) but as the shoe fits, I'll wear it ). But I find it odd that some people suddenly join a board, make a few comments, then leave, and not even follow up on nthe discussion, or answer other questions from other posters who are curious about what happened, and want more info. Also, the comments were made within a short time of each other, so well, as I said, look questionable.

Also, as I said, all the flury on the other boards, all goes back to the 2 reported incidents on Thai Visa, hence, it really appears only the 2 incidents occurred, as others aren't posting their own experiences.

Regarding post counts, yes, they really are no indication of anything, but suppose someone suddenly joined this board, posted, as their first post, something really outrageous, then disappeared with no further word, wouldn't you find that odd? especially if they didn't come back and answer follow up questions?

Now, if someone who posted here more often, and was known by some of the board members posted the same outrageous story, you might be more inclined to take it seriously no? It has happened here many times.

I think these stories might be true as a friend of mine got caught at the new airport with a bottle of alcohol that was over the percentage alcohol allowed even thou it was only a litre bottle. How the heck was he supposed to know?

He was forced to pay a substantial fine.

Make a mistake in thailand as a farang and expect to get hammered with penalties far outweighing the nature of the crime. TIT

Details, please. What percentage was he trying to bring in? what is the allowable percentage? how much was the fine?

Thanks!

I think he said it was over 40 percent.

I can't remember the exact fine but i might see him before i leave on Sunday and verify the exact details.

I am a bit hazy on details as it has been a very heavy week of partying but the story is a genuine one.

I wonder where he was stopped, and by who? The story I got was it was not customs, it was the cops and got them outside...

I know in California, and many states, anything over 100 proof (50%) is not allowed...you can have some stuff, if you are traveling out of the state on a continuing flight...Grain alcohol for example is banned in a lot of places...

Isn't there a version of Wild Turkey that is 60% (120 proof)?

In the USA I never saw such a ban, but then again I wasn't looking to buy 90% alcohol.

At the BKK airport, sounds like the local BiB are looking to cash in!

When is BKK going to have a sting and put these bad BiB in to the monkey house?

Up until last July, I was bringing in 7-8 bottles of liquor in two seperate trips to LOS. In Augusst, I brought 2 or 3 bottles because they all had to be in my checked luggage (I carried 5 or 6 in my carryon before last July). I would have been very unhappy to have given up the 3 bolltes of whisky/brandy that costs $200 a piece. Most of what I have brought is in the $60-$100 range, with a few in sthe $30 and bought dutky free in St. Maarten, where liquor is really cheap. I leave LOS next Friday with two suitcases of cushons made for the teak furniture that I imported to sell and don't expect any problems with it with U.S. customs but I plan on bringing back to LOS my Irish crystal collection accumulated over the last 20 years and will start in my carryon with two lamps that cost 700 euros apiece. I would be very pissed if they were confiscated or a bribe demanded. I'll only bring one bottle of liqour with me this time. I have looked into sending a container from the U.S. to Chiang Mai of strictly rosewood furniture that I have bought in Thailand over the last 10 years for my soon (hopefully) to be finished house in C.M. but EVERYONE, even shipping companies in Thailand, have told me to sell the furniture even for a substantial loss because the Thai duty would kill me. Anyone have any experiences in importing crates/containers to LOS?

Archived