what is your thailand pet peeve?

theshaw66

Apart from that I got nothing to complain. All forementioned hassles can be prevented and are peanuts in comparison with countries like India or Indonesia.

If they taxidriver doesnt wanna do the meter, dont get in. Dont react to the 'taylors', in the west we learn to be nice to everybody, now you just got to learn not to be nice to everybody. Simple. And easy to do once you discover those ppl are not really nice to You...

I'm always scrupulously polite and respectful to the thais, no matter how passive-aggressive and rude they are to me...I never, ever lose my cool. after all, it's their country and I'm a guest.

it's another story when it comes to the indians and arabs.

if they are rude to me or treat me disrespectfully, I give it back to them in equal measure. haha, after all, they are "guests" in the same way that I am (the word "khaek"--common thai epithet for all indians and arabs--actually means "guest"). I take no shit from them whatsoever. and as you can imagine, they give me ample opportunities to exercise this option, haha...

preahko

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

"Just look at those horrible whitening cream ads. They should be forbidden."

Hear, hear.

Sanuk!

Oh yeah, I forgot those :mad:

One thing I did think about was finding out if any of the usual cosmetic Multinationals made these and wondered why no one in Farangland had made an "issue" about it??

Any ideas?

If you have problems with Thailand why the fuck do you bother coming here, why not just fuck off to somewhere else and sit with a bunch of whingers like yourself.

I do have problems with Thailand and I live here.

And I do go through the hassle of spending 3 million baht for a house and a car.

But you DO tell me I can not whine about all that's possible wrong in this country?

Don't you think some education of the people living here would improve the quality of live for every one.

Learning to drive, respecting nature and being polite would be a good start.

And you could learn to be more tolerant.

Interesting list here and I would probably agree with almost all of them. It should be noted that I donâ??t see any that are unique to Thailand and virtually all of them apply to every third world/developing country to varying degrees.

I would make the point that to make any judgment based on an experience in lower Sukhumvit is not really fair to the rest of the country.

TH

Hi' date='

"Just look at those horrible whitening cream ads. They should be forbidden."

Hear, hear.

Sanuk!

[/quote']

Oh yeah, I forgot those :mad:

One thing I did think about was finding out if any of the usual cosmetic Multinationals made these and wondered why no one in Farangland had made an "issue" about it??

Any ideas?

sorry, you're barking up the wrong tree if you're looking for some multinational conspiracy here...

it's a simple fact, like it or not, that most of the world values lighter skin over darker (Asia but also Africa, etc.), and as long as people have that preference they will go out of their way to achieve the light-skinned look. Westerners are in the minority in this world for their desire to darken their skin via tanning, etc.

preahko

It never ceases to amaze me why people would go to a foreign country to eat McDonalds etc. Thais serve Thai food and besides there are always options a plenty if you make the effort to enquire.

I live in Udon Thani and please tell me where I can buy ingredients to make farang food at my place.

Big C, Lotus or Macro, what a joke :onfire:

Luckily no McDo yet, but we still have 3 italian, 2 Tex-Mex and some farang bar/restaurants in town who serve hamburgers, but I will soon have to drive 100km to find some. Nothing out there in the local shops of small towns.

<< One thing I did think about was finding out if any of the usual cosmetic Multinationals made these and wondered why no one in Farangland had made an "issue" about it?? >>

It was an African American Congressman from San Francisco who freaked out when he saw the Darkie toothpaste adverts in Taiwan. He brought enough pressure to get Darkie turned into "Darlie" ... whatever the hell that means.

:dunno:

p.s. My dad once had me bring a tube of Darkie to give to one of his colleagues, another aerospace engineer. The black engineer laughed his head off. Clearly, congressmen have their head up their butt.

<< I live in Udon Thani and please tell me where I can buy ingredients to make farang food at my place. >>

The local market: potatoes, onions, tomatoes, peas, carrots, eggs, beef, pork, chicken, fish etc.

You may have to improvise some. When I lived upcountry, I discovered that moo yaw sliced and fried makes a decent sandwich -- sort of an ersatz hamburger. So does sliced moo daeng. Now if they just wouldn't put sugar in the bread! (Worse yet, chocolate in the bread :( )

I live in Udon Thani and please tell me where I can buy ingredients to make farang food at my place.

Big C, Lotus or Macro, what a joke :onfire:

Interesting point. Here in Sydney we have an abundance of thai, chinese, vietnamese supermarkets. Has anyone ever opened up a western style supermarket in LOS?

Archived