what is your thailand pet peeve?

theshaw66

Oh, and theshaw66, please don't post in ALL CAPS. It's really annoying to read and impolite (as it is considered as shouting).

Sanuk!

the caps were for him and i did mean them to be shouted for i didn't like his tone at all....i didn't mean that for you..i apologize for you

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact the rich always have and always will rip off the country, look at the sidewalks, WHAT FUCKIN SIDEWALK, the rich cunt who built the building stole the sidewalk, no trees, has to be what was once I hear a beautiful city is now I think the ugliest in Asia by far. Fuck all parks, green areas,

Just a culture by the rich (who IMO got rid of thaksin coz they couldn;t get enough $) to continually rape the country, in their defence I guess their not Thai

DOG

The inability to drive and be aware that there are other people on the road.

I have gotton used to this. It's the inability to drive and be aware that there is anybody on the sidewalk that bothers me.

Yesterday, while I was walking on a sidewalk in Sukhumvit, I feel a hard object hit my back and then hear a loud honk. It was a frustrated motorcyclist, on the sidewalk, annoyed because a Farang (me) was blocking his way. No apologies; he simply pushed me out of his way with his bike so that he could get by. From the force of his bike, I ended up falling to the ground, but only suffered a bruised elbow and some scratched palms. A MiB was not more than 20 feet away and saw the whole thing, but simply smiled when the motorcyclist passed him.

OK, I know some don't like Farangs making any complaints about Thailand and I know comparisions can be unfair, but indulge yourself for a moment (I did after this little stunt since there is not much else I can do), and imagine if some clown pulled a stunt like that on a crowded sidewalk in LA or NYC in front of a policeman there.

Hi,

"and imagine if some clown pulled a stunt like that on a crowded sidewalk in LA or NYC in front of a policeman there."

Or the roles being reversed and a farang driver bumping over a Thai.

This (driving bikes on the sidewalk) is also one of my pet-peeves, the others are:

- getting on elevators / skytrain before letting people get off

- walking slowly on sidewalks that are barely walkable already due to an overabundance of street hawkers

Sanuk!

This is an excellent point, and it extends beyond yesterday's incident. It's a useful rough test to see if you are being reasonable or, as some will claim, too unflexible for Thai culture. Simply reverse the roles, and imagine the likely result.

This may be hard for tourists (well, maybe not), but if you live here (or if you are a tourist, and know some Thais in your country - say at a local restaurant) and you know some Thais well, simply use the role reversal test and see if you get a sensible response. You don't need to abruptly raise the issue, since many Thais will often indirectly raise the issue under the guise of "foreigners are taking over Thailand". If, say, a Thai in the US tries to make this point (and I have seen this happen), just reverse roles.

No need to argue the issue; instead, just smile, since the silly rationalizations you will hear in response to most role reversals make any argument superfluous.

Hi,

"and imagine if some clown pulled a stunt like that on a crowded sidewalk in LA or NYC in front of a policeman there."

This (driving bikes on the sidewalk) is also one of my pet-peeves, the others are:

- getting on elevators / skytrain before letting people get off

- walking slowly on sidewalks that are barely walkable already due to an overabundance of street hawkers

Sanuk!

For some reason, this behavior is not unique to Thailand.

China is the same way, especially with the elevators.

Japan, not motorcycles, but a mass of bicycles using the sidewalks and they act like they own the sidewalks!

A few years ago, I was walking along (in Tokyo) with my (then) Japanese mother-in-law and her son when a Japanese on a bicycle, talking on his cell phone bumped into Mama. The son went nuclear and knock the guy on the bicycle to the ground.

It was GREAT!!!

I'm big enough that they bump into me but I don't move much and they fall down! :yeahthat:

China, same with the bikes and motorcycles.

Anyone walking is at risk.

Aside from the traffic and corruption, there is little attention paid to either personal or public safety, and related to that, this country is [color:red]WAY TOO LOUD AND NOISY[[/color]/b] :mad:

Not to say that Thailand is any better or worse than other "free" countries that I have visited. Its just different (and that's the whole point of staying here.)

Yesterday, while I was walking on a sidewalk in Sukhumvit, I feel a hard object hit my back and then hear a loud honk. It was a frustrated motorcyclist, on the sidewalk, annoyed because a Farang (me) was blocking his way. No apologies; he simply pushed me out of his way with his bike so that he could get by. From the force of his bike, I ended up falling to the ground, but only suffered a bruised elbow and some scratched palms. A MiB was not more than 20 feet away and saw the whole thing, but simply smiled when the motorcyclist passed him.

Had a similar incident with one on Suk just past the Landmark near the pedestrian stairs. A well timed shoulder put him into the fence. I just apologised and smiled. He was not impressed but a few of the store holders found it quiet ammusing

Archived