what is your thailand pet peeve?

theshaw66

Had a similar incident with one on Suk just past the Landmark near the pedestrian stairs. A well timed shoulder put him into the fence. I just apologised and smiled. He was not impressed but a few of the store holders found it quiet ammusing

This is where I had my incident yesterday. Unfortunately, I was taken by surprise and wound up on the ground.

I like KS's comment about a Farang doing this. Imagine a Farang riding a motorcycle on Sukhumvit's sidewalk knocking over a Thai because she wouldn't get out his way. And a cop standing there watching the whole thing.

We all know the outcome would be very different. And I guess that is my most fundamental pet peeve about Thailand - hypocritical double standards.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't hate anything in Thailand per se, but definitely have some peeves:

1) The "we were never colonised" attitude of many Thais.

2) The sheer fear of many Thais of having to speak English.

3) The lack of awareness or care about environmental issues. (Even amongst better-educated people).

4) People who dawdle in front of you on the footpath in a shopping centre with absolutely no awareness or concept that there may be anyone around them. Also, the fact Thais haven't got the concept of holding a door open for someone. Basic courtesy in ANY culture I would have thought.

5) Standing on the escaltor going to the Skytrain or subway platform, the train's at the platform - you can see it - and the Thais in front of you on the escalator NEVER run for the train. They're quite happy to miss it and wait for the next one.

6) The lack of interest from most locals about anything that happens outside Thailand.

7) Racism - including internally amongst their own countrymen and women.

8) The pollution (both air and noise) in Bangkok.

9A) Ignorant tourists who come here and fuck the place up with their superior attitudes. (Obviously not referring to anyone here on the board I don't think!)

9B) People who come to Thailand to go whoring, never leave Sukhumwit or Pattaya Beach Road and think they know Thailand / have seen the "real" Thailand.

10) The fact that most of the time you will never know what a Thai really thinks about you.

no.1.poor standard of food non thai(laos & cambodia)both better and fairer priced.Thailand has had tourists for over 30 years.

no.2.when you complain about anything nodding head and smile and do nothing.

no.3.when you enter a subject like complaining they change subject recently i complained about neigbours dog chasing me on motorbike and ripping garbage gags all over the soi near my house and was offerd a a job in there company.

no.4.Police not intrested in doing anything unless for self gain.

no.5.Thais are racist and over nationalistic.

my last comment is mixed as i respect there proudnest but just a little over done almost to the stage of nazi like behaviour.

no.6. why put trees directly in the center off the sidewalk and not too the left.

no.1.poor standard of food non thai(laos & cambodia)both better and fairer priced.Thailand has had tourists for over 30 years.

It never ceases to amaze me why people would go to a foreign country to eat McDonalds etc. Thais serve Thai food and besides there are always options a plenty if you make the effort to enquire.

Hi,

"It never ceases to amaze me why people would go to a foreign country to eat McDonalds etc."

It's easy. Lunch during the week is virtually always Thai. Having McDonalds once a week or so is a nice break.

Just like I wouldn't want to eat McD every day, I would not want to eat Italian every day, or Greek, or Thai, or ...

Sanuk!

Agree KS but my point is that too many rely on the "Fast Food" option even when travelling abroad. There are so many varieties in LOS so I cannot see how someone could conclude that there is a poor standard of non-thai food.

bust, think you did not understand what i meant i cant recall the last time i had mcds in thailand and i did not come here to eat it, living here i eat thai food often what i am saying is when you think about how long and how many tourists and long term expats that have been here its somewhat amazing that the quality of non thai food is quite poor.I am aware of good foriegn resturants in Thailand but they are few and far between imho.

theshaw66,

Obviously my remarks wound you up but that was not my intent, if I have offended you in any way please accept my apologises.

FYI, I don't see Thailand as perfect, hence I am not a hypocrite as you implied. My issues are a little bit deeper than what amounts to less than 50 Baht extra on a Taxi Fare, the basis of your initial complaints.

You are correct in your assesment that this board is for sharing knowledge, and I hold my hands up to being a self centered cunt who jumped on your posting from my opinionated viewpoint, and as I have previously mentioned, I apologise for such.

:beer:

I find in the standard of farang food in Thailand quite poor, unless paying top-dollar in good hotels and posh restaurants. (Sorry - I don't count McDonalds as food!)

When I'm somewhere like Vietnam, for example, I get bored of Vietnamese food quite quickly, and if I want a western fix, I find the western food there much better-prepared than in Thailand.

Must be the previous French influence I guess.

Also, apart from Thai chefs who work in the top hotels and restaurants, most of them wouldn't have been trained in the art of preparing western food, so they have to guess. Also, most of them hate eating it, so they have no idea how it should taste.

I reckon the best burger in Bangkok is found at the entrance to Nana Plaza when staggering out a bit worse-for-wear. Fuck, they're good. That brother/sister combo who owns it must make a fortune. I would think close to 10000 baht a day. They sell a SHIT-LOAD of burgers every night.

Archived