I Am Helmut

Helmut

Actually Old Hippies version of German was understandable. JFK said nothing wrong he said "Ich Bin Ein Berliner" He said it right, if he cut out the EIN he would have said "Ich Berliner" which would mean "Me Berliner" He wanted to say that he feels like a berlin local and he said it perfetcly, even pronounced it good for an american who usually butcher our language.

By far the best "german speaks english" joke ever is that one

posted it a couple of times already but I think it never gets less funny!

Lieber Herr Gott! (no, that doesn't mean "Dear Mr. God", though I often like to think of it that way)

Do you actually read the posts? I don't mind being corrected, but I prefer when the correction is actually correct. I wrote that OH should remove the "ein" not the "bin". "Ich bin Berliner" is correct. "Ich bin ein Berliner" means "I am a jelly donut"--perhaps JFK's intention, but we'll never know now. "Ich Berliner" is simply horribly wrong, a mistake no student should make on his second day of German at any level of instruction.

Thanks for the kind nod Nasiadai. I'm very fond of German; the grammar is very easy to catch onto. For me (and I suspect most English speakers) the hard part is getting the articles correct, although I've found if I slur them properly the way real German speakers often do I'm able to fool people. When I lived in Germany there was an amusing program where the interviewer went around asking Germans the proper article for various words and received an amusing variety of answers, so less common words can still cause trouble, even for native speakers.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok! Helmut should prove that his german is better than OH's! :neener:

CT will be the judge as he seems to be real and original german!

A native speaker of German should be able to point out all my mistakes...spelling' date=' grammer, word use...

[/quote']

And a native speaker of English would usually write "grammar". :neener:

Thank every one for nice welcome!

I hope to join many discussions here in the future. But you must know I very busy. Some people maybe can have businesses and stay up all night and fuck all day and still write much on internet. I sorry I not able to do same.

Some of you ask good question or comment. Mr. Nervous_Dog. About my investment in Royal Garden I can only say that it is through a special arrangement with some important people--not through stock exchange! Mr. Christian Troy I not tell truth about Dusit hotel. I am buying hotel to take down but not Dusit. I can not say hotel name because might have problem. But later I can say name and have party also and can make discount for board members. (Name not Wellkome Inn. :) ) I think you have business here also. Maybe can meet next week and talk about many thing.

Mr. Elef thank you for say I write like American. You know I only study one week there so I am happy you think same.

Mr. EEE I hope to post more in future.

Mr. Boring_Man...please don't push the envelope.

Mr. Hippie I sorry maybe you think I make problem.

I vant to talk more now but have problem with Somchai. Maybe talk more later.

Thanks

Aha!

..."Ich bin ein Berliner" means "I am a jelly donut"...

Hmmm' date=' if that means that, then what does [i']Ich bin ein Geleeschaumgummiring[/i] mean? :grinyes:

Cheers,

SD

Basically means "I am a foam rubber ring." But then I know nothing about Buddhism, so what do I know...?

ok! Helmut should prove that his german is better than OH's! :neener:

CT will be the judge as he seems to be real and original german!

A native speaker of German should be able to point out all my mistakes...spelling' date=' grammer, word use...

[/quote']

And a native speaker of English would usually write "grammar". :neener:

I am from California, hence, NOT a native speaker of English! :neener:

Nas,

Actually stoped studying German when I was in junior high...if you think my written German is crap, you should hear me try and speak it. Seriously bad! My father, a native of Austria/Germany, forbade us from learning it at a younger age, and we rarely if ever spoke it at home...his German was corrupted by learning Spanish in Argentina. Anyway, yes, wish I spoke it better than I do...sorry if my crap skills are an insult to you...

Archived