Don Imus off air for "nappy headed hos" remark

foreigner

Rappers stop using racial epitaths and mysoginist lyrics? Won't happen anytime soon. You can add a lot of black comedians to that list as well.

All groups have a certain amount of hypocracy. Women groups not coming down on (no pun intended) on Clinton during the Lewinsky thing and had it been a Republican they'd have led the lynch mob.

Spanish language radio is full of hosts who mimic the most stereotypical Mexican voices and slurs but if they'll protest the Speedy Gonzalez cartoon (which is a huge hit in Mexico).

Hypocracy is part of all facets of society and groups unfortunately.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know what you mean about tabloids in the UK. They fill the same niche as radio shock jocks in the US. There's an appetite for it.

They've been around a lot longer too! Correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but I'm not sure they have the same type of audience. My impression of tabloid readers is primarily non-working moms, more akin to Ophrah's audience (or any daytime show) over here. I would think the demographic for Stern and Imus would be more working male.

[/quote']

You may be right about the tabloid audience in the UK. I don't really know. People love sexy gossip....housewives especially.

My son, 25, works in IT, likes Howard Stern. Howard makes him think about things and he has no problem with foul language but he doesn't use it himself. He's probably a fairly typical Howard Stern fan. He says the Imus thing is a lot of fuss about nothing.

I can't see the gangsta rappers cleaning up their act anytime soon but it's interesting that the audience there is mostly white teens.

Not a fan of Imus in any way. But I do believe in protecting unpopular speech.

I don't believe any of these college chicks will be "scarred forever" as one claimed she would be. I do believe that sticks and stones will break my bones but names...provide a good reason for me to say, "Fuck you too, buddy."

Yes, stupid thing to say. A bad joke by an old man who is out of touch with modern slang and sounds silly trying it.

The coach says it's so bad because of the great accomplishment the girls had made. Uh, it's a fucking basketball game bitch, they weren't exactly curing cancer.

Scary that one stupid racist joke can cancel a lifelong career and all the good things he's done.

Never understood what the creep was doing on a news station to begin with.

Predictions:

There will be a backlash and the phrase "nappy headed bitches" will become commonplace.

Imus will either retire or sign a multiple million contract with either satellite radio or Fox News (providing he agrees to become a rabid Republican)

Special interest groups will see this as a green light to start protesting anybody who says something controversial.

Books will be written with hefty advance payments made, but nobody will buy them because this story will have a shelf life of about 3 weeks.

Sounds about right. I'm not sure what makes the coach a 'bitch' but those girls are certainly smart enough not to let some foul-mouthed fake ruin their lives. And he should be free to wear funny hats and make a fool of himself.

In the interests of historical accuracy Imus called the girls 'nappy headed hos'.

In my company in Vietnam, the Chicano mechanics named the motor pool's 5 ton the 'Frito Bandito". They painted that name on both bumpers.

Meanwhile, the loonies in the States were forcing the TV stations to ban the Frito Bandito cartoon character because it was "offensive".

:dunno:

[color:red]Nappy Headed Ho[/color]s merchandise floods ebay

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q='nappy-headed+ho%22+t-shirt&hl=en&safe=off&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-37,GGLD:en&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

about 1% of americans prefer Imus to pablum.

on this forum it's about 3% (me! ).

IMan's 1st comment was on their tattoos.

heavily tattooed womens are seeking the gangsta / ho look

I personally avoid hos with tattoos.

Iman then stated the black womens on the Tennessee team were attractive.

& womens are hos & bitches

What's worse than a male chauvinist pig?

A woman that won't do what she's told.

Why do women close their eyes during sex?

They can't stand seeing a man have a good time.

Predictions:

There will be a backlash and the phrase "nappy headed bitches" will become commonplace.

Imus will either retire or sign a multiple million contract with either satellite radio or Fox News (providing he agrees to become a rabid Republican)

Special interest groups will see this as a green light to start protesting anybody who says something controversial.

Books will be written with hefty advance payments made, but nobody will buy them because this story will have a shelf life of about 3 weeks.

Here ya go!

NHH

Archived