Don Imus off air for "nappy headed hos" remark

foreigner

At least the government didn't get involved. I got very worried when they tried to make flag burning illegal. Imus getting fired is ultimately up to the public as it should be. In the end the public got what it wanted. Whether we think its not fair. There are a few people who got fired for statements and I thought they shouldn't but the one thing I didn't want was government intervention.

So, who decides if a comment is too far? As I said in a previous post, we all do. Imus can still say nappy headed hoes and can buy time with his own money or investors money on any number of mediums and say 'nappy headed hoes' ad nauseum. As long as he can still say whatever he wants, the system works.

NBC wasn't forced to fire him, they had a choice chose money (or the loss of) over free speech. If they felt strongly enough about it they'd have stuck to their guns. There is a lobby group that is comprised of newspapers and other mediums that 'protects' freedom of speech. The name eludes me but they have taken what some deem controversial stances. Mostly, they defend journalists that are jailed or sanctioned by the court for not revealing sources in a criminal case. Imus is the kind of case though that if they really believe in what they stand for, they'd have rallied for him.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Imus fallout seems to be coming from the political element that wants to pass laws to restrict public speech. Sure Imus sounds like buddha, but that is no reason to restrict other people's civil rights.

There seems to be some confusion about who exactly wants to 'clean up' the airwaves. I'm seeing left AND right getting the blame. :confused:

[color:red]the political right is defending the I-Man.[/color]

he called Cheney a war criminal daily & oft made fun of Bush, Rove, Gonzales ..

[color:red]Michelle Maulkin & Tony Blakey both defended him Friday ..[/color]

Tony irritate the heck out of me (he writes for Rev Sun Moon's ultra conservative newspaper)

I actually watched Fox this week to get away from the Olberman / Williams I Man bashing.

Pat Buchanin was all but yelling Friday night in his defense .. he called the I Man one of the best interviewers on TV .. Pat was a regular guest on Imus .. & IMHO one of the brightest talking heads about.

Buchanin's speeches are often best in their original German ..

he had this 'horn' .. when a politico's speech was being played if he became tired / irritated of it he would blast this 'horn' in the middle of the speech..

& was 100% anti war from the beginning.

& was 100% pro-troups.. was a leader in the Walter Reed scandal, was responsible for several 4 star generals being forced to retire / be relieved of duty.

he & his group actually built a several 100,000s sq ft rehab center at Ft Sam Houston

the government would not take care of the troups .. so he did!

.. he broadcast live from the Ft Sam center when it opened.

the people he blasted are the worst .. he called generally called Condi "Buck toothed"

he & Donald Trump really got into Condi's poo the other week, Trump more than I-Man

What deal has condi closed? .. all she does is wave getting on & off planes in spike heals..

was the gist of trumps tirade.

I-Man made fun of most MSNBC shows & management so MSNBC is tearing him up ..

Interesting. I think Pat Buchanan is great but I never hear him using insults to make a point. Imus himself says the 'nappy headed hos' comment was a step too far. Are right wing commentators defending that too? Or are they just defending his right to say it to show how 'liberal' they are? :confused:

1. If Snoop can say it, I Man can say it.

2. Part of his statement was about the HEAVILY TATTOOED womens .. the sweet little girls were heavily tattooed & thus [color:red]THEY WERE SEEKING a GANGSTA HO LOOK![/color]

[color:red]he said they were heavily tattooed before he directly quoted Snoop[/color]

3. In the same exchange I Man stated the Tennessee players of color were attractive

something like 50% of persons of color are currently or have been in the criminal justice system.. jail, parole, probation.

1,000,000 ganstas in Florida alone cannot vote.

perhaps calling a spade a spade would stop the dummies from seeking the gangsta lifestyle / look!

Oh, I do not think I said Pat Buchanin was a commedian .. IMan & Buchanin laughed a lot during their interviews

what I reported was, that Friday night Buchanin said the IMan was one of the best interviewers in the industry

& that he was being hung out to dry by the politically correct industry,

an industry that directly & purposely targets persons of color with the highest nicotine cigs & highest % alcohol drinks.

a nappy headed ho with lung, cardiac & liver disease is politically correct!

Dude, who the fuck cares???? Look at the facts. Nobody censored him. It was the capitalist free market in action. Imus is a product. His advertisers pulled out. Imus is no longer making money for The Man. The Man pulled his plug. Simple.

And all those who say that they dislike Imus have as much right to say what they feel. It seems that you miss that part...

Regards,

SD

If snoop can say it Iman can say it

it was not the free market that was driving brian williams or keith olberman

Brian Williams was asking I Man on the air to go to iraq with him one week & blasting him the next

= 2 faced A-hole

the left is pandering to illegals & persons of color for votes

the capitalist free market being bullied by sharpton & Jackson.

:bow: , Ill let you assume the sharpton position & I shall not post to this tread again.

& persons are free to state their opinions about persons they know well

.. kinda like the fellas a nanapong did several years ago. :deal:

not often i agree with those guys

:monkey::mooning::monkey:

I've already said on this thread that I don't care what Imus says one way or the other. It's the debate that interests me. It's obviously got more to do with race than free speech or even economics (sorry SD). We'll have to wait and see if Imus makes any difference to that.

Dude, who the fuck cares???? Look at the facts. Nobody censored him. It was the capitalist free market in action. Imus is a product. His advertisers pulled out. Imus is no longer making money for The Man. The Man pulled his plug. Simple.

And all those who say that they dislike Imus have as much right to say what they feel. It seems that you miss that part...

Regards,

SD

Exactly what I've been trying to say. If NBC wanted to let him continue they could have. Threat of boycott or loss of listeners or sponsors are 'within the rules'. The government kept out of it and that is the most important thing. Personally, I couldn't care if Imus stayed or not.

Is there a double standard in society? Of course there are..and about a whole host of shit. Blacks can say the N word, whites can't...women can get away with things men can't.

This board has its own 'society' on what is acceptable and what is not that are within the overall rules but you're the forum pariah if you hold certain views about visiting LOS for p4p, religion, etc. and although you can post unpopular viewpoints, you will be as welcome as Imus at an NAACP meeting.

Chuck is correct in that the underlying subject is race and America has never completely been able to deal with that issue as a society and nation so its always a lightening rod issue.

Its not usually not fair and unequal how its (society's decision to censor some folks and noth others) applied but it is what it is.

Archived