Wearing Shorts in Bangkok?

Heim_Hung

Panadol,

Not unaware. I've seen it used both ways. I guess it depends on which side of the argument you are on as to which 'version' you would use. :) It's also an old famous Romanian proverb: Clothes do not make the man.

As well as said in a different manner by Beecher and even good ol' George Washington.

â??Clothes and manners do not make the man; but, when he is made, they greatly improve his appearance.â?Â

Henry Ward Beecher

â??Do not conceive that fine clothes make fine men, any more than fine feathers make fine birds. A plain, genteel dress is more admired, obtains more credit in the eyes of the judicious and sensible.â?Â

George Washington

Cent

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No motherly issues here, but thanks for your concern.

If you feel the need to get all dressed up and play make believe to pull the pussy, have a field day. I'll be the first to congratulate you on your next conquest. Maybe you could even ask OH for a pointer or 2, I hear he's a real fashionista. :D

However, it is not a question of whether or not one exposes ones knees, IMO shorts that go down to just below your knees look best. They are also the current fashion so if you shop at Armani, Hugo Boss, Paul Smith etc, that's what they are seeling at the moment.

:topic:

I have just been reading the latest John Nicholson Column on a Football website, the article is about Beach Football amongst tourists. One part of the article reminded me of this thread .

But before we go can we please stop wearing those f**king horrible three-quarter length Adidas (or any other bloody brand) capri-style pants that only the British seem to feel are necessary and which shame our nation so terribly. Every bloody one wears them from seven to 70 year olds. Stop it now!

They are second to none in the Chav sportswear league of must-haves, so why do middle-aged men and their wives also think they are so sporty and desirable? And ladies, take f**king note; we can see your gussets through them, so please do us a favour and cast these vile creations off. Everyone looks like sh*te in them and doubly so when drinking lager in the bar at Manchester Airport at 7.30am. This is no middle class style wars bullshit, the British look f*cking insane when on holiday. P*ssed up, overweight, indolent (or under weight if you're a Ned) and yet dressed in athletic clothing. It is madness.

No motherly issues here, but thanks for your concern.

If you feel the need to get all dressed up and play make believe to pull the pussy, have a field day. I'll be the first to congratulate you on your next conquest. Maybe you could even ask OH for a pointer or 2, I hear he's a real fashionista. :D

Ok, yeah LOL, sorry about that mother reference - uncalled for I know - I apologise. Thanks for your reply.

It's not even make believe I suppose - just illusion as I say. I've got the money and the youth to do it - so it becomes almost *criminal* not to do it - to my thinking anyhow. If you consciously do this is it somehow better then someone who does it unawares?

Panadol,

Not unaware. I've seen it used both ways. I guess it depends on which side of the argument you are on as to which 'version' you would use. :) It's also an old famous Romanian proverb: Clothes do not make the man.

As well as said in a different manner by Beecher and even good ol' George Washington.

â??Clothes and manners do not make the man; but, when he is made, they greatly improve his appearance.â?Â

Henry Ward Beecher

â??Do not conceive that fine clothes make fine men, any more than fine feathers make fine birds. A plain, genteel dress is more admired, obtains more credit in the eyes of the judicious and sensible.â?Â

George Washington

Cent

Cent - thanks for letting me know about these quotes - which I was completely unaware of! Except I will take to task good 'ol George Washington if need be.

I read that quote as saying that your clothes should be refined - genteel - as he says it. Not flashy or ostentatious like a peacock's feathers for example. Certainly not shorts and slippers. Would good 'ol George approve of that?

The Beecher quote says much the same thing.

They both happened to use *hyperbole* in order to make their point. I really hope you understand this.

Anyhow reread your own quotes because you are not making sense.

I read that quote as saying that your clothes should be refined - genteel - as he says it. Not flashy or ostentatious like a peacock's feathers for example. Certainly not shorts and slippers. Would good 'ol George approve of that?

I think you miss the point. My tailor made (just below mid-thigh) shorts, Tommy Bahama linen shirt (both crisply pressed), Jim Thompson silk boxers, Coach braided belt and Tod's sandals (never any socks) are the very definition of genteel and refined. I'm sure GW would approve.

And I'd submit that even tho' they're only slippers, my Tod's cost more than your whole "image" outfit, and anyone with any taste can tell that. But so what? And FWIW, I have worn that kit to any place in BKK, even the Royal Bangkok Sports Club (where one finds real hi-so chicks, not the poseurs in Paragon) LOL!

Of course, I have the outstanding muscular manly legs with the correct amount of hair that Thai chix lub too mutt. :neener::grinyes:

Cheers,

SD

I suppose it's just a case of some people caring about their appearance and some people not caring. I do and hence I don't wear shorts when I'm out and about in the city. :beer:

I care about my appearance as well, but it doesn't stop me from wearing shorts. And they've surely never prevented me from making contact with the ladies.

Even if they had, I wouldn't be concerned. There's plenty of pooying to go around. For every 1 who's turned off, they'll be 10 who don't care. The whole thing is a non-issue to me. It may have made a difference 20 years ago, but not today. IMO of course. :D

I suppose it's just a case of some people caring about their appearance and some people not caring. I do and hence I don't wear shorts when I'm out and about in the city.

People who look like slobs in public are probably slobs in private, too, and are thus best avoided, in both situations.

Archived