Wearing Shorts in Bangkok?

Heim_Hung

I suppose it's just a case of some people caring about their appearance and some people not caring. I do and hence I don't wear shorts when I'm out and about in the city.

People who look like slobs in public are probably slobs in private' date=' too, and are thus best avoided, in both situations.

[/quote']

Wow, thats a sweeping generalisation, and best avoided? It depends what you mean by slob. Some people may look scruffy,but may be clean and shower everyday.

Avoided? I wouldnt judge a book by its cover. I know plenty of good characters.

Example, I met this guy in Bangkok

Bay Rigby

He looked a bit like a slob, but then again he worked to the New York Times for 20 years as an illustrator and famous people buy his paintings for 20 thousand USD...hes crazy(in a good way)....however if I avoided him I would have missed out on a few days of hedonism with an interesting person, playing guitars and general messing....

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....By the way, I bought two pairs of long shorts, the ones that go down to just below the knee, from Armani last weekend and will be sporting them in BKK in July. They look great :thumbup:

In whose opinion do they look great Teddy? The gay salesman's opinion? :)

Anyway Teddy, with your pasty pipe cleaner legs shorts are definitely a nono. :smirk:

I read that quote as saying that your clothes should be refined - genteel - as he says it. Not flashy or ostentatious like a peacock's feathers for example. Certainly not shorts and slippers. Would good 'ol George approve of that?

I think you miss the point. My tailor made (just below mid-thigh) shorts' date=' Tommy Bahama linen shirt (both crisply pressed), Jim Thompson silk boxers, Coach braided belt and Tod's sandals (never any socks) are the very definition of genteel and refined. I'm sure GW would approve.

And I'd submit that even tho' they're only slippers, my Tod's cost more than your whole "image" outfit, and anyone with any taste can tell that. But so what? And FWIW, I have worn that kit to any place in BKK, even the Royal Bangkok Sports Club (where one finds real hi-so chicks, not the poseurs in Paragon) LOL!

Of course, I have the outstanding muscular manly legs with the correct amount of hair that Thai chix lub too mutt. :neener::grinyes:

Cheers,

SD[/quote']

Tailor made shorts! Jesus you've gone way outside all boundaries of taste and distinction with that little gem. Clearly the wrong side of enough!

The bottom line is you can wear anything you want. But if you want to observe the local customs then dress like the locals. I find a lightweight linen trouser and a silk shirt to be very comfortable in the tropics. Thais judge you by your appearance more than western cultures do.

.....I am proud to declare that I wear nothing but long shorts' date=' t-shirt and sandals whenever I am in Thailand,.....[/quote']

I can't stand these long shorts, look rediculous on blokes. :(

I am happy to hear that, I just love to piss of farangs :smirk:

Actually wearing them shows a complete lack of taste.

I couldn`t really care less. I am here to enjoy myself not to show off my good taste.

And if my standard of dressing doesn`t live up to the expectations of my fellow farangs, well....

I don't care what any of y'all are wearing- I just wanted to see 5 nested quotes

Its funny no one mentioned that a nice pressed pair of jeans and decent looking t-shirt tucked in neatly work just fine in the evenings at almost any venue. Would not call that dressing up, but certainly seems to allow you to go anywhere as shorts can restrict your evenings in some cases - like Spasso, Q Bar, etc may not allow shorts and dont seem right to me at 11 pM? Now NANA seems like you can wear anything..I still go for jeans in the eves

Archived