Christian evangelists at Nana Plaza

kamui

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THE EMPOWER FOUNDATION is mentioned in this article and from what I know, is an organization that does deserve support.

I've met several girls that have received job training and English courses provided free of charge at their Silom center. They also have a successful branch in Chaing Mai and have opened one in Pattaya.

They very specifically DO NOT proselytize nor denigrate the girls in any way for working in the sex industry, they just provide support with no judgments.

When the worldwide AIDS conference was held in Bangkok several years back they were initially invited to participate but when the government realized that their goal was to encourage government support for providing condoms and HIV advice to working girls, they were turned away for encouraging prostitution.

I've never seen a solicitation for funds on their part but they certainly are worthy of support.

Dave,

I'll politely disagree. These people all have problems that need fixing in their own countries, and they should stay there, and fix those. Additionally, I maintain that ALL these groups have an ulterior motive, regardless of what they say, or how theycome across.

Providing an useful education for BGs is a nice thing to do (if they asking for it).

But

- just concentrating at NP and Soi Cowboy shows that these missionaries are outsiders in the Thai society, since they operate in the segment of the P4P scene which is open for foreigners, even for these missionary women. The market which caters for local punter is much much bigger and probably harder for BGs, which means they might be more in need for help. But to enter this scene needs probably a different kind of people with a deeper understanding of the Thai society and culture and a well woven network inside the Thai society.

- trying to convert Thai women to Christianity (and almost probably it is a fundamental and bigot version of Christianity) IMHO shows a deep disrespect for Thai culture and traditions, since Christianity is relatively alien to LOS. I wonder what happens to these women when they return to their homes and do not follow the Buddhist rites of their families and villages anymore?

:thumbdown:

"She says men who pay for sex are exploited too, in a sense, because afterwards they are even more lonely than they were before. â??I feel sorry for the men sometimes. It [prostitution] is destructive to the men as well.â?Â

Well, maybe destructive to ur wallet...

There are two main reasons why these Christian evangelists are here:

• paying for sexual pleasures is bad
  • Buddhism is bad because the only true religion is Christianity

These are the only two reasons, especially the second one. All their other blabla is rubbish (helping people...) and just a veil for their aims to convert non-Christians.

. I wonder what happens to these women when they return to their homes and do not follow the Buddhist rites of their families and villages anymore?

Well I bet even if they did "convert" that they are still Buddist and Christians ,

I can see where the Thais would have no problem being both ,

Of course the Christians would not like that idea but I am sure it is better than nothing and the Missionaries still get "points" for converting a "pagan"

OC

wonder what happened to those pagan babies we supported in grade school.....

pagan baby story

http://latc.com/2006/04/26/comment/comment2.html

Agreed 100%. I would add That these evangelists might have a more noble intention if they went to the villages and "helped" these girls before they even entered the scene. They might get better results as well.

But working in a far off village in the countryside would not bring those people any press coverage. Besides her husband missionary would probably have much less fun when his wife is away saving BGs. For this he has famous role models. :evil:

Archived