Christian evangelists at Nana Plaza

kamui

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THE EMPOWER FOUNDATION is mentioned in this article and from what I know' date=' is an organization that does deserve support.

I've met several girls that have received job training and English courses provided free of charge at their Silom center. They also have a successful branch in Chaing Mai and have opened one in Pattaya.

They very specifically DO NOT proselytize nor denigrate the girls in any way for working in the sex industry, they just provide support with no judgments.

When the worldwide AIDS conference was held in Bangkok several years back they were initially invited to participate but when the government realized that their goal was to encourage government support for providing condoms and HIV advice to working girls, they were turned away for encouraging prostitution.

I've never seen a solicitation for funds on their part but they certainly are worthy of support.[/quote']

Dave,

I'll politely disagree. These people all have problems that need fixing in their own countries, and they should stay there, and fix those. Additionally, I maintain that ALL these groups have an ulterior motive, regardless of what they say, or how theycome across.

So nobody should be doing any good in another country until they sort the problems back home out? No Red Cross, no Unicief, no Action Aid or Plan International no Red Crescent, no Greenpeace, no Amnesty International then in your ideal world.

I think what you mean is nobody should meddle in the lives of bargirls except the pimps and leeching boyfriends and paying customers. I know something about the founder of Empower and they appeared in the Post last week. I also know the founder is in no way religious and does not have any ulterior motive, unlike those bloody Christians. Nobody forces these girls to go to Empower or to a Church in case you had not noticed most of them are as hard as nails and perfectly capable of making up their own minds. Nothing wrong with giving people other options in life.

About 6 years ago, an ex-BG who had married a Yank made a stir on the bar scene here. Seems her husband had smacked her around or something, so she divorced him. Since she had her green card, she started stripping in San Francisco. She didn't like the way the bar owners treated their girls, so she started a union ... and affiliated it with the Teamsters! Suddenly, the SF BGs were getting a fair deal. The gal returned to LOS on a visit and held meetings with the Patpong and NEP gals, trying to get them to organise and get some protection against bar owners too. I think Empower may have ben involved in it. She didn't get very far though, and allegedly almost got herself a visit from Somchai the hitman for even suggesting the BGs form a union here.

Not sure about the SF union I thought that was only one club and a recent thing.

Chanthavipa Aphisuk of the Thai sex workersâ?? rights group Empower, in a press conference on November 1, 2000 announcing an international sex workersâ?? meeting in Bangkok later that month, stated: â??Statutes in some Asian States that outlaw prostitution push the business underground, making it more dangerous, increasing the risk of HIV transmission and allowing the mafia to control the trade. Legalisation might force society to treat prostitutes like waiters, hotel workers or any other employees in the service sector.â?Â

Full Article

THE EMPOWER FOUNDATION is mentioned in this article and from what I know' date=' is an organization that does deserve support.

I've met several girls that have received job training and English courses provided free of charge at their Silom center. They also have a successful branch in Chaing Mai and have opened one in Pattaya.

They very specifically DO NOT proselytize nor denigrate the girls in any way for working in the sex industry, they just provide support with no judgments.

When the worldwide AIDS conference was held in Bangkok several years back they were initially invited to participate but when the government realized that their goal was to encourage government support for providing condoms and HIV advice to working girls, they were turned away for encouraging prostitution.

I've never seen a solicitation for funds on their part but they certainly are worthy of support.[/quote']

Dave,

I'll politely disagree. These people all have problems that need fixing in their own countries, and they should stay there, and fix those. Additionally, I maintain that ALL these groups have an ulterior motive, regardless of what they say, or how theycome across.

So nobody should be doing any good in another country until they sort the problems back home out? No Red Cross, no Unicief, no Action Aid or Plan International no Red Crescent, no Greenpeace, no Amnesty International then in your ideal world.

I think what you mean is nobody should meddle in the lives of bargirls except the pimps and leeching boyfriends and paying customers. I know something about the founder of Empower and they appeared in the Post last week. I also know the founder is in no way religious and does not have any ulterior motive, unlike those bloody Christians. Nobody forces these girls to go to Empower or to a Church in case you had not noticed most of them are as hard as nails and perfectly capable of making up their own minds. Nothing wrong with giving people other options in life.

Yes, more less the way I see things...that is, clean up your own back yard first, then go off bitching about others...Red cross can help in domestic disasters, Amnesty international should crack down on domestic political issues, did you know the USA has political prisoners? So why should the American branch be bitching about Rwanda when it has issues at home they neglect?

Green peace? Fuck them, the hypocritical bastards, even their founder turned on them! But yes, they should concentrate on stuff in their own homes first...

See, if we mind our own business, we won't be minding other people's business... Once we have all our own collective shit in order, we can then go and help others...charity begins at home and such...

As for your comments on Thai whores, pimps others...pretty much the way it is now, and will be, right or wrong, you will not change it, especially if it stands to hurt others financially. If you talked to enough bar owners, you'd be hearing them bitch about how the girls just fuck off on the job, and make more than they do...Money from whoring empowers them, like it or not.

As for this "empowerment group" some seem to be tauting, I have no clue on them, do know about the Aids group, and have no issues with them. But, and this is now the 2nd time I have had to say this, as you and another guy have missed it, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE EVANGELICAL GROUPS HERE, NOT ANY OTHERS! O.k. got that now?

EDU

<< A sex workersâ?? conference with a rights agenda, with participation from ten Asian countries and the US, met in Bangkok in November 2000 >>

<< Chanthavipa Aphisuk of the Thai sex workersâ?? rights group Empower, in a press conference on November 1, 2000 announcing an international sex workersâ?? meeting in Bangkok later that month, stated: â??Statutes in some Asian States that outlaw prostitution push the business underground, making it more dangerous, increasing the risk of HIV transmission and allowing the mafia to control the trade. Legalisation might force society to treat prostitutes like waiters, hotel workers or any other employees in the service sector.â? >>

Bangkok

The place in SFO is/was "The Lusty Lady" which is now a "worker owned cooperative." Hey, this is California...as for the sex workers union...look at any union today, they have all fallen apart largely do to greed, sell outs, and members not sticking together. Can you really trust whores and strippers to stick together and watch each other's backs? I think not.

Archived