Is Tom Cruise out of control?

Flashermac

Not surprising to me that Christianity was rejected in those days and to some extent today. It was a religion forced upon blacks when we were taken from Africa and it was 'their' religion.

In discussions with NoI guys I told them that Islam was forced on Africans as well in the Arab slave trade, so weren't they trading religion that was forced on blacks for another? I don't want to go into the details of the exchanges that occurred when I said that.

In any event, in that type of environment, especially in the '30s when lynchings still happened and your dignity was easily taken, its not a shock blacks looked for something to instill some self pride.

Interesting thing about America is that, logically one would assume churches would be the first thing to integrate, based on its teachings but its the last. Neighborhods, schools, jobs are pretty much fully integrated and churches remain one of the most segregated institutions. Perhaps because the others were mandated by law to some extent to be integrated and churches are a private matter.

Whenever I have encountered Scientologists here they seem linked directly or indirectly to the entertainment industry. The few I've met are struggling actors or actors that have gone from A list to B list or even C list. I'm sure there are a lot of non 'industry' (as the entertainment industry is called in LA) types that go, but it just seems an extension of the arts here.

I wonder who gets most of the money nowadays. That 'religion' must make a mint. A pastor of one of those mega churches only has that one church but all the scientologist places of worship are all tied together from what I understand. There are many throughout LA. What a racket! I guess if I were them I'd hire a bunch of lawyers to protect the money train.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< Interesting thing about America is that, logically one would assume churches would be the first thing to integrate, based on its teachings but its the last. >>

Odd thing about that. I've seen the church in the little town my dad's family was from. The church stands on land given by my ggg grandfather around 1850. In slavery days, the white folks sat in front and the black folks behind them. After emancipation, the black folks went and formed their own church.

I've seen some integrated churches in the South, but they are a small minority. Maybe the preaching styles don't go together or something.

The real "original" African religion would be something like Voodoo. Voodoo is supposed to be the old African religion with a light veneer of Christianity added. But I've heard Nation of Islam folks telling African Americans that Muhammad was black! Uh ... he probably was no darker than I am. Plus he was a slave owner and defended slavery. I remember when Saudi Arabia officially outlawed slavery. It was when JFK was president!

p.s. Peculiar thing about the South is that there have often been close friendships between individual white and black folks, even families - much more so than in the North. Yet the hard line segs always kept Jim Crow in power. (White folks had to worry about the KKK almost as much as black Southerners. Nobody dared break the "rules". Jimmy Carter has said that the end of Jim Crow freed white folks almost as much as it did black folks.)

Humanity really is a mess. Reading all this stuff, it makes you realise just how many gullible simple-minded folks there are. Kinda depressing, nothing is going to alter this mass waste of time and energy on bullshit. We should be reaching for the stars, instead we create distractions based on imaginations and the desire for power and wealth. Religion is nothing more than a business, separating fools from their money.

There's a lot of sad' date=' bored and lonely people out there who are easily led into an environment that is outwardly more friendly and exciting than anything they have known before.

I think a lot of celebrities enjoy the scene because they get the full royalty treatment and it's a break from the artificial world they are forced to live in.

Sure cult religions are equally artificial but it's still a break from what they're used to. [/quote']

The same could be said about certain people who visit Thailand!

It crossed my mind as I was writing the post. :yeahthat:

Yesterday, for a few hours, the clip of Tom Cruise discussing his beliefs as a Scientologist appeared on Youtube, and was republished by Radar and Defamer. That video is no longer available, most likely after the Church of Scientology sent in a copyright infringement notice. Gawker is now hosting a copy of the video; it's newsworthy; and we will not be removing it.

For how long i wonder

Archived