Another Sin Sot debate...

Old Hippie

I did'nt pay any sin sot when I married my wife. I was'nt asked and the subject never raised by the wife or her parents. We've only ever done the Amphur wedding, never got around to the monk wedding in village. If we ever do we will probably put up a bit of cash and gold for her parents sake and would get most back afterwards. I've been to the village weddings of various of her brothers and cousins and gold and cash was on display (can't remember how much) but most given back after the wedding.

Simie.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

On of my brother-in-laws got married about 2 years ago. Both he and his bride work construction and were in their early 40's. He paid a sin sot of 2,000 Baht :)

Think the younger brother-in-law paid ~10K when marrying his wife (early 20s, no kids, no previous marriages).

Sanuk!

Ok, so what would be expected from a Farang for the same girls? My guess is, a lot more. I see some who say paying Sin Sot shows they respect and understand the culture, I feel I understand the culture enough to resent Sin Sot.

OH, I've no problem if rich Chinese Thais or Isaan farmers want to pay the respective amount of sin sot to each other. The thing that bugs me (and I assume yourself?) is when sin sot is deemed not payable for the likes of ex bargirls with a Thai ex husband and a kid or two. But some greedy families think it right for a farang to pay a relatively huge sum in the same circumstances.

Simie.

I paid the princely sum of 10,000 baht sinsot for my wife. OK, it was just an

engagement, not a real wedding (we married in OZ), and only relatives were

invited, and the money was spent for food and drink. Do you think it was too

much? She was 23 at the time, GTG, virgin, but poor farmer's daughter.

Initially when she brought up the subject of sinsot she was aiming for

something like 300,000 baht. The sight of me ROTFL discouraged her from

pursuing the issue.

Later she told me that after the ceremony everybody laughed at her - where

did you find such a poor farang. They have apparently stopped laughing a

year later when her parents built themselves a new house. So yes, I paid

my 300,000 in the end, but that was because I made a promise to her and

her parents really needed it - the old house was just about to collapse.

When my wife and I married last Nov. I gave the family 6k in U.S. Dollars, plus my wife had a necklace of 1 baht that she went and traded in for 2 baht. She used money from her account to pay the difference. 2 days later I or We got the 6 k back.

Flash cameras going off and all ahowing the money and gold. My wifes family gave me 1 baht necklace and her a 1 baht ring.

Everybody happy and they had good face.

Hi,

"Ok, so what would be expected from a Farang for the same girls?"

I'm not sure you could get a farang crazy enough to take the wife of my younger brother-in-law. You would have to pay me - substantially - in order for me to even consider fucking her, let alone marry.

Never met the other guy's wife, we didn't attend the wedding (only heard about it a few days later) and the 'marriage' only lasted a few weeks.

Sanuk!

HH, My girlfriend is chinese-thai, white skinned, uni educated, upper middle class family. It's going to be a lot.

Just a heads up on this one. Buddy of mine married a Thai gal with the same exact background. He got away with a new washer and dryer. That was about 10 years ago, so maybe he'd have to throw in a new vaccum cleaner today? (Yeah...a lot of baht and gold on the table...mostly from a collection of immediate family and later returned. All for pomp, I guess.) Good luck.

HH

"...The thing that bugs me (and I assume yourself?) is when sin sot is deemed not payable for the likes of ex bargirls with a Thai ex husband and a kid or two. But some greedy families think it right for a farang to pay a relatively huge sum in the same circumstances.

Simie..."

Yep, this is also part of what I don't like about the practice. As I said, in many cases (as in NOT IN ALL) it becomes a shakedown.

Jai Dee wrote: "...I paid the princely sum of 10,000 baht sinsot for my wife. OK, it was just an

engagement, not a real wedding (we married in OZ), and only relatives were

invited, and the money was spent for food and drink. Do you think it was too

much? She was 23 at the time, GTG, virgin, but poor farmer's daughter.

Initially when she brought up the subject of sinsot she was aiming for

something like 300,000 baht. The sight of me ROTFL discouraged her from

pursuing the issue.

Later she told me that after the ceremony everybody laughed at her - where

did you find such a poor farang. They have apparently stopped laughing a

year later when her parents built themselves a new house. So yes, I paid

my 300,000 in the end, but that was because I made a promise to her and

her parents really needed it - the old house was just about to collapse..."

Did you pay too much? relative term I guess, but I'd say no. And good negotiating on your part, going from 300,000 down to 10,000 bht! :)

As for giving the family a house or what not later on, I have no real problem with this at all, nor even a monthly allowance to them, or paying for sibling's school etc. As I said, my main objective is when it becomes a "pay it or you can't get married/I won't marry you" type situation. This apparently was not your situation.

Archived