Another Sin Sot debate...

Old Hippie

In any debate on Sin Sot there are going to be many and varied views. In the end it is surely up to the couple to discuss it and decide on whether it will be paid and how much.

No doubt there are some parents who see it as a get rich quick scheme, others who see it as their right, others who see it merely as a cultural tradition and yet others who don't give a stuff about it.

IMHO there is no easy answer for someone about to get married, other than discuss it with your 'intended' and weigh up all the factors.

Do you get on with the parents, are they short of money, are you happy to pay it, how much do you think is fair etc etc.

The one aspect of any Sin Sot debate that tends to get up my nose, is this attitude of "it's not done in my culture, so I ain't paying up". There may be many other reasons for not wanting to pay Sin Sot, but this one just screams "I am totally insensitive to other cultures and will bull doze my way through life.......imposing mine" :-)

Just my take :-)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
..and I'm sure I'll have to pay a million plus. I will do it out of respect to the culture in which i reside, not because I agree with it and I will hope it is returned to me....

That does seem a bit excessive :-) Is she a Police General's daughter?

"... * Faustian Said:

..and I'm sure I'll have to pay a million plus. I will do it out of respect to the culture in which i reside, not because I agree with it and I will hope it is returned to me...."

This is sort of the point I am trying to make here, they know some farangs feel this way, and just jack the cost up big time, with no regard for the farang and or their own daughter, and what the relationship really means.

I'll ask again, what would a Thai man pay for a heavily used bar girl with 1-2 kids?

I do agree, the final decision to pay it or not, is entirely up to the couple involved. Though I have never gone along with the attitude "...I can afford it, so it is o.k...." Being able to afford something is not a valid reason to let someone exploit your relationship for their own gain. IMHO.

Hi,

On of my brother-in-laws got married about 2 years ago. Both he and his bride work construction and were in their early 40's. He paid a sin sot of 2,000 Baht :)

Think the younger brother-in-law paid ~10K when marrying his wife (early 20s, no kids, no previous marriages).

Sanuk!

What do Thai's Pay,

Last December my Bother in Law who works in International Banking got Married to a Doctor the daughter of a prominent surgeon in BKK, they are both mid thities and had been dating since they were 18. Sin Sot on display was 500K and was back in his, well their joint, bank account before the last flash light had popped at the Breakfast Engagment ceremony.

Archived