American style pizza?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basilico's is great, but thin crust...maybe ask for a thicker crust? The chain of Pizza shops (Piazzo?) of which there is one in that big Nana mall on Soi 3 Suk, first floor on the right er sort of...not bad, but not great either...a few of the sky train stops have them as well.

The Thai aversion to anything "dum mahk" sadly applies to pizza as well. I like my pizza on the well done side; you know, cheese brown on top, a bit of char on the crust:... forgetaboudit!!! I have never been able to get a pizza halfway past undercooked even in places run by farangs...there must be some law I don't know about.

• 4 weeks later...

Every visit to the kingdom I end up eating at at least 2 different "pizza" places. I've have since learned better, and now realize that flushing my baht into the nearest toilet would be money better spent than trying to eat another pizza in Thailand.

I'm convinced nobody in that country has any idea what a pizza should look/taste like.

You can't have a proper pizza without good TOMATO SAUCE!... and plenty of it! :banghead:

Something that Thai "pizzas" seems to universally lack. :(

-=/NN

Neon - the reason is because Thai's enjoy putting their own ketchup on the pizza - so why waste putting so much tomato sauce on it to start?

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that was the reason.

However, I find this wrong on so many levels. :barf: Ketchup is not the same as sauce! :barf:

What I don't get is why the "false" advertising?

These places claim "American style" or sometimes even more specific ("New York style", "Chicago style")

I guess "Thai style" pizza just won't sell. :)

However, that said, you would think that pizza places run by foreigners in a tourist area like Pattaya would have no incentive to make horrible "no sauce" pizzas, but they still do... :(

I wonder if it's like buffet "Chinese food" in the States, which does not even resemble food people actually eat in China.

(I've even heard that "General Tso's chicken" was invented somewhere in America.)

-=/NN

Archived