Forget Politics, Lets Say Something Nice About The US.

Julian2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burgers, tex-mex, other fast food even I try to avoid it...

Rock music especially Los Angeles hard rock scene in the 80's was a big thing for me

Clothing

Were gogo bars in Thailand invented by Americans? :)

Umm....what else? True to be told most things I value in my today's life are quite anti-American.

There are some kick azz California wines!

No...no there are not.....please dont get me started on this....

I will concede there are a few wineries that produce some good brands, but in the main these tend to be smaller.

California wines (in general) are mass produced shite, Blossom Hill, Gallo, Brown Foreman etc.

These cater for the masses and are just about drinkable however, they are not "kick azz"

However in defence of California they are beginning to get their act together at last and give it a few years we'll see more decent wines from the region. Robert Mondavi (to name one) seem to be on the right track for their more premium vino which I would highly recommend. Especially the Chardonnay.

p.s I am not a wine snob, just a beer & wine buyer.

p.p.s. I should add also, everyone has their own taste so if you like the cheap crap then fine by me...

i'm no expert either. it was small, dark and seedy :) . my cup of tea :content: . not entirly sure of the location. i'm pretty sure it was 'hood' going by the girls and customers....i was assured it was the real thing so to speak!

Ah yes, I was in that club with you 2...the memories we have...I shall not divulge who "the big stud" was that night, but having proven myself the night before, we can merely guess! That was a great trip, rolling the stroll in my mustang convertible, and hob nobbing with some celebs at only the top clubs, but that strip joint was by far the best! No high end bottle and "G clubs" for us, we can handle it down and dirty old school! leave the prissy stuff for the whimps who can't hang with guys like us!!

Guest lazyphil

aint that the truth...rolling through the nickerson gardens like we owned it :)

and the girls in that strip club showed some dedicated work ethic :smirk:

aint that the truth...rolling through the nickerson gardens like we owned it

LOFL! No fucking way (unless you were buying crack). :)

Pretty sure I've been to the club Steve mentioned, but it was oh so many years ago that I really don't remember. Like I said, I don't go to those places anymore, ever since the law implemented the 'no total nudity and alcohol nonsense.'

Maybe Steve remembers 'The Ball' in Santa Monica. Now, that was a good place. :up:

Nevertheless, good on him for showing you the town, warts and all, so to speak.

There are some kick azz California wines!

No...no there are not.....please dont get me started on this....

I will concede there are a few wineries that produce some good brands' date=' but in the main these tend to be smaller.

California wines (in general) are mass produced shite, Blossom Hill, Gallo, Brown Foreman etc.

These cater for the masses and are just about drinkable however, they are not "kick azz"

However in defence of California they are beginning to get their act together at last and give it a few years we'll see more decent wines from the region. Robert Mondavi (to name one) seem to be on the right track for their more premium vino which I would highly recommend. Especially the Chardonnay.

p.s I am not a wine snob, just a beer & wine buyer.

p.p.s. I should add also, everyone has their own taste so if you like the cheap crap then fine by me...[/quote']

Good Lord Chelseafan! That is the crap that we sell to the unwashed masses. Preferably for export.

There are A LOT (and I do mean A LOT) of really great wines from small and medium sized producers that never make it more than 100 miles from NoCal. Some of it is relatively well known (e.g. Mondavi, Opus One) but most of it is not well-known (e.g Kistler, T-Vine, Sinsky, Elan, Freemark Abbey, Frazier, Dominus, Nickel & Nickel, Arrowwood, Cafaro, etc., etc., etc.). Also, there are some very nice JV's with French champagne makers (Taittenger, Chandon) that make remarkable sparkling wines.

Let me know when you are in LOS. If it coincides with my plans, I'll bring you something nice to try.

RC,yes you are right and I did say that there were a few wineries that produce good wine, however these are not big enough (at present) to commercially sell on a large scale or at least create the brand/image that will interest people.

I am not the biggest fan of french wine and believe me there is a load of shit amongst that too, but in proporition, the french produce better quality than they do in California IMHO.

Moet have a JV in the US? wasn't aware of that. Could yield some good results, especially with the shortage of Champagne...

Funny you should mean Opus One, bought a bottle the other day though yet to try :)

Archived