Russia sends forces into Georgian rebel conflict

Flashermac

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you support the NATO attacks on Serbia? I didn't. And why didn't you lefties go after Bubba for not taking the issue to y'all's beloved U.N.?

No I thought it was barbaric. More clumsy American meddling was my feeling. But I'm not exactly a paid up lefty. Maybe I do have a few things in common with Solzhenitsyn.

lazyphil will be along in a minute to say 'but what about the poor Bosnian muslims?'...

I would say Obama is more correct.

Definitely. Condemning Russia when they see their actions as justified will invite more violence.

Oops. Day two and Bambi has already thrown y'all under the bus!

Obama called for direct talks among all sides and said the United States' date=' the U.N. Security Council and other parties should try to help bring about a peaceful resolution.

"I condemn Russia's aggressive actions and reiterate my call for an immediate ceasefire," Obama said in a statement.

"Russia must stop its bombing campaign, cease flights of Russian aircraft in Georgian airspace, and withdraw its ground forces from Georgia."[/i']

Y'all should talk to c.s. about how tough it is being Barry's bitch.

Please tell us what you would do?

Double nonsense. Read all that Solzhenitsyn had written and you'll find that he is simply a crotchety old bastard who was happier under the Czar than anything else -- "the exceptional classes (i.e., royals) know what's what, everyone else are idiots who shouldn't be allowed a say" is a bit of philosophy ol' Stolzie would have agreed with.

So that's it RY, you're a Royalist at heart? Lucky it's not Boston in 1773 -- you'd have met an untimely end there.

Makes sense, as it jibes completely with the GWB comment about dictatorships and your views as expressed here IMHO. And I can see that as being appealing to the current crop of GOPers...

Cheers,

SD

"...B EFORE his expulsion from the Soviet

Union in 1974, Solzhenitsyn had been

seen in the United States, and in the West generally,

as one of the two greatest and most heroic

of the Soviet dissidents (the other being Andrei

Sakharov). As such, he was also taken to be a

"liberal"-which, in a certain sense and in the

context of Soviet society, he undoubtedly was. On

occasion he even called himself a liberal, meaning

by this that he was fighting against the censorship

of literature and the arts...."

"...Yet neither

the fact that he was critical of Stalin, nor his

bitterness over being imprisoned, at first turned

Solzhenitsyn into an anti-Communist. He remained

a Marxist and a Leninist in whose eyes

Stalin had betrayed the revolutionary heritage of

1917. It was only in the Gulag that he gradually

came to see Stalin and Stalinism not as the betrayal

of Marxism and Leninism but as their

logical culmination and fulfillment..."

So Stolzi was a liberal and a lefty.

He was a writer that's all. But not a great one, like Tolstoy for instance. Pasternak was a much better writer than Solz. The best writers are able to see different facets of human nature and history simultaneously. The best fiction writers are full of contradictions ...it's stupid to think writers have all the answers.

Meanwhile, back at the topic ...

Gori evacuated as fears of Russian advance into Georgia grow

Any such incursion would be a dangerous escalation of a conflict that has already reportedly claimed thousands of lives and displaced thousands more. Russia, which said it moved into South Ossetia last week to protect pro-Russians there from "genocide" commited by Georgians, has now been accused of "ethnic cleansing" itself. Russia regained total control of Tskhinvali, the capital of South Ossetia, and Georgia offered a unilateral ceasefire as it withdrew all its troops. International opinion hardened against Russia, which has been roundly accused of a "disproportionate reaction" to Georgia's move into South Ossetia last week. Jim Jeffrey, the US's deputy National Security Advisor, told reporters: "We have made it clear to the Russians that if the disproportionate and dangerous escalation on the Russian side continues, that this will have a significant long-term impact on US-Russian relations."

Nuke the farkin Russkies!

Not nuke them but a firm response will be needed. Putin is clearly using this as a test case to see how far he can go in getting "lost territories" back.

Former Soviet republics know this and feel this. Look at the reactions by the Baltic republics and the Ukraine. Also Poland is royally pissed of with the Russkie's. Ukraine seems to be willing to go even one step further by threatening Russia's Black Sea fleet. If they really do that things will spiral out of control very quickly. Bush and Cheney seem to be on the brink of throwing a fit as well if I read news reports right this morning.

In short this is not something to be happy about. Putin is playing a very dangerous game and he will be strengthened if he wins South Ossetia and Abchazia. We will then see instability pop up in other areas with Russkie's that want to join the motherland. It sounds dangerously close to the scenario from 1937/1938 "alle Deutschen heim ins reich".

Waerth

Archived