US whites 'to be minority sooner'

Faustian

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sort of nonsense always pisses me off. If you are white and speak Spanish, you aren't white anymore - you are Hispanic. If you are black and speak Spanish, you are also Hispanic. Same same with Mexican and Central American Indians.

So why not if you are black, white or whatever and speak English - you are an Anglophone? Makes a much sense as lumping Castilian Spaniards, black Puerto Ricans and Yaqui Indians into one group.

If white Spanish speakers are listed as white, this "minority" status won't happen. I remember one of my close friends in Vietnam (a Mexican American) getting quite irate when a black Puerto Rican asked him something about "those white guys". He said to me, "Does he think I'm black?"

The census folks have to start being consistent. List people by race or by language. Choice one or the other.

:(

i saw this article. Interesting. Black latinos don't consider themselves black. I grew up around a lot of them. Some black english speaking Caribbean peoples don't either. Basically those two groups, although black as I am, don't want to be considered in the same group as African Americans because of the stigma of being seen as black american.

There are white cubans, puerto ricans and other central or south american, latin descended people that are physically indistinguishable from european descended whites as well. T

So those numbers can be based on what people consider themselves or what people actually look like.

Both parties use race and ethnicity and not always in a positive way. Some (certainly not all) have scared white voters into going to the poll by using buzz words such as 'affirmative action' or 'welfare', immigration, 'english only' provisions. The connotation is there. Its obvious. I'll refer to the Jesse Helms ad in his Senate race as one that comes to mind immediately.

Democrats have also used the Republicans stance on social welfare, affirmative action, immigration, amongst others as buzzwords to warn minorities to vote against Republicans.

I am not going to get into the merit of the stance just that those issues are used as a wedge issue with race and ethnicity in mind.

Religion, race, whatever, is used by both parties for an edge. Old as politics itself. In any country. Nothing new.

Basically those two groups, although black as I am, don't want to be considered in the same group as African Americans because of the stigma of being seen as black american.

How do you know this is it? Doesn't it make more sense that these folks look at American blacks and think to themselves "I do not think like they do and I do not act like they do, therefore I do not belong to that group."

Archived