Park entrance fees slashed

elef

It's true...used to upset me too but there is some rationale.

If national parks upkeep are paid by income taxes then it makes sense to charge locals less since they have alreadhy paid (in a sense) Of course, foreigners living in Thailand with a work permit should also be included...and they usually are.

Now a place like Dreamworld would be a totaly different matter...but then again, Disneyland in California frequently has promotions where people living in nearby zip codes get discounts.

I think, however, the amount of the discount Thai's get is what is out of order.

Thai's pay tax ? Not the group I hang around :)

And my mistake its only 5 times, was comparing the child price.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if still true, but at one time US National Parks had dual pricing.

In Massachusetts, state residents pay a lot less at state owned camp grounds; a hot issue on Cape Cod where there is endless demand for the tentsites and RV spots.

I visited Koh Samet a few weeks ago: Entrance fee for Farang B200, down from B400 previously. They patrol most of the beaches now so it is difficult to escape the fee. It used to be if you took a speedboat from Ban Phe directly to your bungalow, they'd never catch you.

I visited Dreamworld some years ago with TGF and her family. I arrived first so I paid for all farang price of course for all, the driver of the minibus heard that and told the cashier that the rest were thais, so I got most of the money back and all - even me - paid thai price. :thumbup:

but then again, Disneyland in California frequently has promotions where people living in nearby zip codes get discounts.

The last time I went to Disneyland, I got a discount on admission, but I had to pay full fee for my Lao girlfriend because she had an Arizona drivers license or something. :)

Seems you just can't win, on either side of the pond. :banghead:

If national parks upkeep are paid by income taxes then it makes sense to charge locals less since they have alreadhy paid (in a sense) Of course, foreigners living in Thailand with a work permit should also be included...and they usually are.

Now a place like Dreamworld would be a totaly different matter...but then again, Disneyland in California frequently has promotions where people living in nearby zip codes get discounts.

I think, however, the amount of the discount Thai's get is what is out of order.

Never mind the national parks, it extends way beyond that. The Zoo in BKK, Muay Thai fights etc...there really is no excuse/justification for it in ANY country.

When did National park prices go dual price?

I visited Phu Kradung National park in December 2001 and read this sign: As of 1st November 2001 entrance fees will be 20 Baht for Thai and 200B for foreigners.

I recall a Kao Yai entrance ticket around 1995 to be 40B.

Bangkok Grand Palace was free for Thais, I forgot what I paid early 1990's, a lot less than what they ask now.

Doubling National park fees for foreigners from 200B to 400B was a smart thing to do, maybe it backfired?

So now we're back to the post 2000 dual pricing for farangs.

I propose to raise all entry fees in the Western world (museums, swimming pools, parks of any kind): Locals and foreigners 1 euro/dollar, except Thais: 10 euro/dollars :stirthepo

Thai policy is based entirely on race. Kinda what you might call racism.

Yes & no. In a country with a mostly homogeneous population, someone who looks like an outsider probably is. I and many others have had little trouble getting the locals price with my Thai driver's license and a few polite words in Thai -- so that kinda kills the racist argument, doesn't it?

Of course, if one cannot be arsed to have some local ID and properly speak the local language, then som nam na (they're probably the same types who complain when immigrants in their home country fail to speak that country's language).

Cheers,

SD -- fails to understand why this is the #1 complaint of crotchety farang bastards -- life's too short guys :p

Archived