Park entrance fees slashed

elef

I think it is the free market at work.

Charge whatever the market will bare. You have the free market choice to not pay.

You think the prices private businesses charge should be regulated?

Dual pricing in Thailand, even at national parks, is not racist, it just trying to maximize revenue with a market segment (tourists) that is not a position to complain and are perceived to be willing to pay it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it is the free market at work.

Charge whatever the market will bare. You have the free market choice to not pay.

You think the prices private businesses charge should be regulated?

Dual pricing in Thailand, even at national parks, is not racist, it just trying to maximize revenue with a market segment (tourists) that is not a position to complain and are perceived to be willing to pay it.

I completely disagree. It is discrimination to anyone who does not live/work in Thailand.

You mention things like open market, charge what the market will bare and people willing to pay it. It is not as if there is much choice. There is only one Grand Palace. It's not as if you can go down the street to the other Palace and pay less. If you want to see it, you MUST pay what they ask. This is basically blackmail. You want to see, pay up.

You mention choice as well......there are two choices........you are right there. They are:

1. Take it

2. Leave it.

Not very good options for people who have flown half way around the world to see things they want to see.

Years ago, I assisted a certain prince on a beautifully illustrated book about ... let's just say a very famous temple. (Don't wish to reveal my identity on the internet, so I won't more specific.) Anyway, whenever I went to the temple with the prince, it was bowing and scraping time ... including big smiles and wais for me. However, when I went there by myself, they tried to force me to pay the admission fee for tourists (tourist = Farang). Made no difference that I showed my Thai civil service ID, nor that some of them recognised me. When I was by myself, I was simply low life foreign scum who had the misfortune not to be born Thai. Struck me as most odd ... and very irritating. Try telling me it's not racism!

:dunno:

Hi,

"We are discussing *public* facilities"

So, then what are you feelings about the private companies who do the same thing? The Crocodile Farm in Samut Prakan springs to mind.

Sanuk!

Muay Thai fights are another example. Farangs pay double at Lumpini and Rajadamdern. The aquarium in Siam Paragon does as well...or at least they did.

As far as being "...arsed to get a piece of local I.D..." how is that possible for the average tourist?

If you pay Thai taxes, then they have decided that your entry fee should be lower as you have already paid for it.

Really? Apart from the fact that most Thais never pay a satang in tax, the only thing that was ever paid for at many forests, waterfalls and more is the counter where the tickets are collected. The logic is much simpler and nothing to do with taxes. They do it simply beacuse they dont care about ethics, are greedy, and can get away with it. If it was something to do with fairness, the difference in fee would be much less (on Koh Chang it is 20x). I think even you see this, but no way you are going to admit it.

It's really simple -- it doesn't matter if I agree with the program or not, that's the logic and it's sound. And done all over the world, even in farangland.

No, it is not. Nowhere in the western world can you see practice like this. I bet you are thinking of giving discount to locals to lure them into paying repeat vists, but that is a entirely different and not what we are discussing here. Where in "farangland" are prices discriminating if the customer don't pay national taxes?

If one can prove that one is indeed a resident taxpayer, then one gets the locals charge. Why is that so hard to fathom?

Yes, Suadum, it is not hard to fathom. Everyone and his donkey do understand how it works. But we dont condone it like you do. Following your logic a Burmese guest worker who dont pay tax should pay upto 20x the local fee and you see nothing wrong with that.

I never said immigrants *should* pay a larger fee for not speaking the language, just they they will, and likely misinterpret why they are paying more or even not know they are paying more. In that case som nam na -- they should have an understanding of the local language if they are gonna live there.

Oh yeah, more correctly that is what you are saying now after being confronted. This is what you originally said and most likely excactly where you stand: "Of course, if one cannot be arsed to have some local ID and properly speak the local language, then som nam na".

Regards,

SD -- by your diatribe, I take it then that you're one of those guys who's been here yonks and can't even say "sawadee"?

Ran out of arguments again, Suadum? Going after the messenger and not the message seems to be a habit of yours. Anyway, as usual you are wrong.

Paillote

Apart from the fact that most Thais never pay a satang in tax

Sorry that you hang out with a bunch of unemployed bums. That's not the case in my circles.

If it was something to do with fairness, the difference in fee would be much less (on Koh Chang it is 20x). I think even you see this, but no way you are going to admit it.

Basically, I don't care about B180. I find it humourous and highly entertaining to see the crotchety old fucks get all worked up over $5. How many times do people got to a park? Six a year? Doubtful, but let's go with that. Why are you giving yourself an aneurysm over $30? Do you have a Don Quixote fetish? Really, take a breath and sit down before you hurt yourself.

Where in "farangland" are prices discriminating if the customer don't pay...taxes?

A quite easy one is public universities. That covers state & federal taxes, since there are in-state, out-of-state and foreign tuition rates. County parks in my home state give discounts to county residents. My home city has free private parks and a marina for residents only, meaning that my tax money pays my admission and you can't get in, even for $1,000.

Following your logic a Burmese guest worker who dont pay tax should pay upto 20x the local fee and you see nothing wrong with that.

Following your logic that this system is racist, how would they know to charge the Burmese a higher fee? They don't look farang -- heck, they pretty much look Thais from the western provinces. And what do Burmese have to do with crotchety old farangs? Why are you changing the subject?

Oh yeah, more correctly that is what you are saying now after being confronted. This is what you originally said and most likely excactly where you stand: "Of course, if one cannot be arsed to have some local ID and properly speak the local language, then som nam na".

Both things express the same sentiment in a slightly different manner. Sorry you can't read. You may wanna try here and then come back in a few months when you're ready to play with the big boys.

You make it too easy, shooting at your own feet. How many toes ya got left? 5555555555

Cheers,

SD

"Muay Thai fights are another example. Farangs pay double at Lumpini and Rajadamdern"

Very true, and it hasn't been always like this, used to be the same price for all until about 7 years ago, when I stopped going, (except one day to watch a friend lose a boring match) I strongly doubt SD gets a discount there with his work permit... ah... and as thais paying taxes :grinyes::grinyes: most thais I hang out with wouldn't probably even get up for Suadum's salary but I doubt very much they pay more taxes than him...and as of whatever they pay (to whoever :shifty: ) going to national parks funding :grinyes::grinyes::grinyes: SD, you made my day... How did Figjam spell "Thailand apologist " ?

Dullnight, live and drunk from TG F class lounge... 180grands for the ticket but not depending on your skin colour... where is the fuckin Glitter??

Mate, I am sure I could buy & sell you any day I want...

Go dream of F in your Y seat and language school teacher's salary.

And no, I do not pay the extra charge to go to Muay Thai bouts. I just don't go there. No interest. Next question.

Cheers,

SD

SD,

you getting on my nerves: I live in isaan village where not a single thai miles around pays taxes.

All your arguments are crap anyway.

It's discrimination, full stop.

I had no problems as a foreigner visiting Everglades National Park: 10 usd for one car regardless number of passengers, ticket valid for one week. It was a very reasonable charge to visit a well kept park, versus 200/400B for one foreigner/one day, they must be kidding.

Archived