Park entrance fees slashed

elef

It seems to me that Suadam is the one being attacked more often here. See...ya mess with a guys $5 and ya pays the consequenses.

But, at the end of the day he is right...national parks upkeep are paid mostly through taxes and tourists don't pay taxes...so they pay higher entrance fees. I'm with ya on the for profit places, but this seems fairly simple.

The comment that "most" Thai's don't pay taxes is hard to believe. Got any proof on that. I suppose it's possible those villagers living off their bargirl daughters may be in that category but Thai's with jobs in offices (millions in Bangkok alone) all pay taxes...so how could "most" Thai's not pay taxes.

And those bum leecher monkeys sitting in their dirty shacks in Issan are probably not doing much travelling around the country visiting National Parks anyway.

You really think that all those noodle shops/cars, pushcarts etc and roadside eateries pay tax?

Office workers and the like, yes, I fully agree upon but in my opinion most Thais in the countryside don't pay direct taxes on their income.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that most of the government's revenues are generated by VAT. Now tourists DO pay VAT for their brief time here, while Thais pay VAT all the time, and thus pay dis-proportionally more as a % of their total spending.

Now, if you wanna debate on whether your average noodle vendor collects and pays VAT on sales, well ....

I believe that most of the government's revenues are generated by VAT. Now tourists DO pay VAT for their brief time here, while Thais pay VAT all the time, and thus pay dis-proportionally more as a % of their total spending.

Now, if you wanna debate on whether your average noodle vendor collects and pays VAT on sales, well ....

Don't Farangs have the opportunity to have the VAT refunded in some circumstances?

As for Thais paying a disproportionate amount...isn't the % the same? Thus, if I am spending in a 3 week holiday what a Thai makes in a year, than I am actually paying more into the Tax coffers, thus I should get a break on park admissions.

Thailand could definitely learn something from other countries. As I mentionned entry to Everglades National Park was 10 dollars for 1 car, 1week, max 4 persons, children under 16 FREE

And I found this on the National Parks website:

http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/annualpassesandpassports.htm

Which means that for approx 2800 Baht you can visit ANY park during one year with your family, 350B if you're over 61 and That's double pricing I won't argue with.

Frequent visitors to our National Parks and other Federal lands should be aware of additional annual pass options available. The following passes may be purchased at the park with qualifying documentation:

America the Beautiful â?? National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Passâ?? Annual Pass - Cost $80

This pass is available to the general public and provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee for a year, beginning from the date of sale. The pass admits the pass holder/s and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas. (children under 16 are admitted free) The pass can be obtained in person at the park, by calling 1-888-ASK USGS, Ext. 1, or via the Internet at http://store.usgs.gov/pass.

America the Beautiful â?? National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Passâ?? Senior Pass. - Cost $10.

This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

VAT-refund - with 7.5 % VAT it's not worth the time - both in the shops (took more than 1 hour on my frist trip years ago to get the papers fixed) and at airport with customs and VAT-refund desk - to get back maybe 1,000 baht or less.

Archived