Park entrance fees slashed

elef

I think we have some serious cross over issues at work here. Mainly, some farangs see this as just plain wrong, as we don't "officially" double price in our home countries. Also, some farangs may see this as yet another example of just plain being "ripped off" by the greedy locals. "...what, thaqt fruit vendor over charged me 10bht!? Fuck him!...Oh, now the national park is in on it also...they must know the taxi driver..." Mentality.

"...they're probably the same types who complain when immigrants in their home country fail to speak that country's language..."

I fall into this category for sure. To me, you want to LIVE in a place as a RESIDENT, NOT a TOURIST, then you should make every attempt to learn the language, which is why I am learning to speak Thai. Tourists are of course another situation.

As a Tourist in Thailand, I cannot have a piece of Thai local identification. Hence, I have to pay more. Oddly, when we go to some places, I have Mrs. Hippie Du Jour buy the tickets, and we get in at the Thai price. This works at the zoo, Muay Thai fights, and some other small places where they could basically care less.

In The US, National parks and monuments are priced the same for everyone. Except for senior citezens, who it seems are given a free ride on far too much, and don't think that doesn't piss me off as well! :cover::cover:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"...they're probably the same types who complain when immigrants in their home country fail to speak that country's language..."

I fall into this category for sure. To me, you want to LIVE in a place as a RESIDENT, NOT a TOURIST, then you should make every attempt to learn the language, which is why I am learning to speak Thai.

You see, we agree upon this. I was saying that the sods who bitch about *not* being treated like a Thai are the same old fucks who have lived and/or travelled extensively here and have never bothered to learn even the basics of the language and think the Thais owe them for them (them meaning those old boys) graciously living here and spending their few, or even not so few, baht (whereas the Thais could, rightfully so, not give a fuck).

Of course, it is quite OK to them to not be treated as a Thai when it is to their advantage. Equality is never really important to them, unless it is to their advantage. Then it is not equality, is it?

Sorry, I've tangented into a rant that really has little to do with Park admission prices...

Cheers,

SD -- just is sick of the "me, me, me" attitude

A Viet-American told me about TRIPLE pricing in the glorious Democratic Republic. His father was an MD in the South Vietnamese Marine Corps (which was a kick ass outfit, unlike most of the SVN Army). They got out the day before Hanoi overran Saigon. He said when he visits VN nowadays he pays a middle range price. The rates are Vietnamese citizen, overseas Vietnamese and foreign. (He also said he is followed everywhere he goes and spied on by the DRVN govmt.)

I and many others have had little trouble getting the locals price with my Thai driver's license and a few polite words in Thai -- so that kinda kills the racist argument, doesn't it?

You should not so easily accept the unjust that happens to not affect yourself. Wether it is racism is debatable, but there is no reason anybody should pay different prices purely based on where they work. Why on earth should a Burmese pay 5-10 times the price of a Thai tycoon?

Of course, if one cannot be arsed to have some local ID and properly speak the local language, then som nam na (they're probably the same types who complain when immigrants in their home country fail to speak that country's language).

Many complain about immigrants not learning the local language, but I never ever heard anybody argue immigrants should pay higher prices if they fail to do so. Only you... As usual your reaoning is off and highly selfish.

Cheers,

SD -- fails to understand why this is the #1 complaint of crotchety farang bastards -- life's too short guys :p

Because it doesn't affect you and you easily accept it based solely on that.

Paillote

As usual, you miss the point entirely. We are discussing *public* facilities, ones that are paid for with Thai tax money. If you pay Thai taxes, then they have decided that your entry fee should be lower as you have already paid for it. It's really simple -- it doesn't matter if I agree with the program or not, that's the logic and it's sound. And done all over the world, even in farangland.

How to easily enforce the policy? In a society with a homogeneous-looking population, if you don't look like them, then you are likely a tourist, and by the above logic, should pay the higher fee. If one can prove that one is indeed a resident taxpayer, then one gets the locals charge. Why is that so hard to fathom?

I never said immigrants *should* pay a larger fee for not speaking the language, just they they will, and likely misinterpret why they are paying more or even not know they are paying more. In that case som nam na -- they should have an understanding of the local language if they are gonna live there.

Regards,

SD -- by your diatribe, I take it then that you're one of those guys who's been here yonks and can't even say "sawadee"?

Sometimes it takes a lot of convincing and fairly sour and non-comprehending Thai faces before you get your Thai price, even with your Thai tax ID card. It starts to piss my (Thai)wife off as well, although she's normally doing more damage control towards me.

It does piss me off and if I don't get Thai prices I refuse to go in.

My plan is, if refused, to tell them that I will take a picture of them, report them with TAT and their chef or dept or such. Didn't need that yet though and hope it won't be necessary.

Archived