Park entrance fees slashed

elef

The Nation

17-08-2008

Link

Park entrance fees slashed

By The Nation

Published on August 17, 2008

From October 1 four national parks in Chiang Mai will cut admission to between Bt40 and Bt200 to boost visitor numbers in the low season.

Doi Phahompok, Doi Inthanon, Aob Luang and Doi SuthepPui national parks normally charge Bt40 per local adult, Bt20 per child, Bt400 per foreign adult and Bt200 per foreign child, said Thanthip Thongngamkham.

From October 1 on, Doi Inthanon would charge Bt40 per local adult, Bt20 per local child, Bt200 per foreign adult and Bt100 per foreign child while Doi Phahompok and Aob Luang would charge Bt20 per local adult, Bt10 per local child, Bt200 per foreign adult and Bt100 per foreign child. Doi SuthepPui would charge Bt20 per local adult, Bt10 per local child, Bt100 per foreign adult and Bt50 per foreign child, she said.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We nhad this discussion today in Thai school. I said it was just wrong to charge more based on a perception of wealth based on race/nation of residence. @ guys (farangs) said it was o.k. and they understood, because we have more money.

This made me sick. I suggested "then why don't we just start charging here for everything based on how much more money we think a particular person has? maybe base it on race as well? Of course these shit wits had no answer.

It's true...used to upset me too but there is some rationale.

If national parks upkeep are paid by income taxes then it makes sense to charge locals less since they have alreadhy paid (in a sense) Of course, foreigners living in Thailand with a work permit should also be included...and they usually are.

Now a place like Dreamworld would be a totaly different matter...but then again, Disneyland in California frequently has promotions where people living in nearby zip codes get discounts.

I think, however, the amount of the discount Thai's get is what is out of order.

Archived