Apple Vs. PC/Windows...

Old Hippie

I( basically want this thing for photography and Video, and of course my award winning posts here. I have an Apple compatible version of Photoshop CS2 as well as one for Windows. So either might be o.k.

My main frustration, which led me to want a new computer is/was the speed. My old PIII XP computer was too slow, and scattered, only had a 30GB HD, and a 250GB external...I hate waiting 5-10 minutes for a picture to edit and print.

My Printer *Should be* Mac compatible, it did come with a Mac driver disk, and I can also check the Canon web site. Or else I should be able to use the cross over software? is that Boot Camp? I would assume this software would also allow my other Photos shop elements programs to work as well?

Other than size, what is the advantage of the 24" vs the 20" ?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1920x1200 pixel vs. 1680 x 1050 pixel, that's the standard resolution for 24" and 20" widescreen LCDs.

As Full HD is 1920x1080 pixel you understand why I opted to pay more to get a 24" samsung dislplay.

If HD video is of of any concern the 24" it is.

I wouldn't buy a 20" display unless it's screwed to the computer/notebook/fridge whatever. 22" displays have the same resolution 1680x1050, almost same price and a much larger selection to choose from. Even compared to 19" displays the 22" ones are only a little more expensive. Worth the difference.

What I think about Apple: if you wanna pay more for the same.

I( basically want this thing for photography and Video, and of course my award winning posts here.

Reality is OH....no computer will ever make your photography look any better than the crap it is.... :cover:

I( basically want this thing for photography and Video' date=' and of course my award winning posts here.[/quote']

Reality is OH....no computer will ever make your photography look any better than the crap it is.... :cover:

Yes, but then you know about as much about photography as George W Bush does about government and how to run a country...he may even be smarter than you...

I( basically want this thing for photography and Video, and of course my award winning posts here. I have an Apple compatible version of Photoshop CS2 as well as one for Windows. So either might be o.k.

My main frustration, which led me to want a new computer is/was the speed. My old PIII XP computer was too slow, and scattered, only had a 30GB HD, and a 250GB external...I hate waiting 5-10 minutes for a picture to edit and print.

My Printer *Should be* Mac compatible, it did come with a Mac driver disk, and I can also check the Canon web site. Or else I should be able to use the cross over software? is that Boot Camp? I would assume this software would also allow my other Photos shop elements programs to work as well?

Other than size, what is the advantage of the 24" vs the 20" ?

- As I said, speed is not an issue for the new iMacs. They are on a PC level or above. I use Photoshop CS3 almost daily on my iMac.

- Standard hardware like printers run with Macs without problems

- Bootcamp means that you install a full version of WindowsXP or Vista on your Mac, which does anything a PC does. With this you can use the PC version of Adobe elements, play PC games, e.g.. Every time you boot your computer you choose either to run the Apple or the Windows OS.

With the software "Parallels" (to be purchased separately) you can run Windows in a virtual machine, which means you can use the Apple and the Windows OS at the same time. With this solution you have the best of both worlds (but Windows on Parallels is slower and you can't play games).

For both solutions, Bootcamp and Parallels, you'll need a valid Windows license.

- 20" or 24"? If you work with images go for the 24" iMac. With 24" it's the first time that I can work on a PC comfortably with several programs side be side. 20" displays will be gone soon hopefully. Also 24" iMacs have stronger processors.

- Security, one link Elef posted states that Vista is more secure. That's bullshit for the average user. It might be possible that a Mac can be hacked easier, but I have never heard from a friend or colleague that his Mac/PC was hacked actively, but on the other hand I received over the years frantic phone calls by friends or even by people I do not know well whose Windows PC caught a virus, the browser was hijacked, e.g.. I just spend a evening at a friends home and tried to erase spyware and a browser hijacker. In the end Windows had to be installed new again.

With a Mac you can surf _any_ website or use P2P software without fear that your PC is being infected (in my experience 50% of downloaded software via emule or torrent contains malware).

reasons against Macs:

- you like to customize your PC and change hardware frequently. That's almost impossible with iMacs, only changing RAM is easy.

- You need specialized software. But that's usually a problem for professionals but not for home users. The market for professional Apple users is still underdeveloped. But it looks that this will change in the future

- You want a 700 USD PC without a monitor. An 24" iMac costs 1,799 USD (including the monitor of course).

PS: If you try to avoid to purchase Mac software you might find this forum helpful.

:smirk:

Yeah, I've never understood that...I use a multi button mouse for my mac...you hear these things said again and again.

Elef, that comparison thing was bogus. I run PC games on my mac laptop...he lied, but I guess he was hardly unbiased (as I'm sure others will think I'm not).

Archived