Apple Vs. PC/Windows...

Old Hippie

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple answer - Mac - unless you have to compete in a PC game in which case you'd have a dedicated Gamer PC anyway.

Photography - Aperture expensive but...

Just about all other software...

Photoshop was built for Macs as were all Adobe products...

and ThePirateBay.org is your friend.

And I'll hold your hand, in a non gay way of course and Macs use Intel chips any hoo...

And they are so much better looking.

And I agree about the Macbook Air, proof of concept, flimsy thing.

But the 1st iPod was crap too.

and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgzbhEc6VVo

Simple answer - Mac - unless you have to compete in a PC game in which case you'd have a dedicated Gamer PC anyway.

Photography - Aperture expensive but...

Just about all other software...

Photoshop was built for Macs as were all Adobe products...

and ThePirateBay.org is your friend.

Agreed!

Since of course, if you install Windows, you'll need a virus and anti-spyware scanner, run maintenace software...

I like the recnet ones better:

Link

One of my best friends just left mac and went to pc, as he said "vista is a better version/copy of mac/os".

I'm not that big Bill Gates fan - his Windows have a 95 % world market share, so mac and linux and some more OS have 5 % together. If somebody gives me the latest macbook I'll use else my only mac is a mac-classic all others went to computer heaven. Before I had later macs but they bombed 10 times more than windows 95 II/98 II and XP Pro so until some nice guy send me a new macbook I'll stay with my 2 pcs with XP pro.

I've not heard of folks going back to Windows after Apple...I guess there must be some. Vista is a lot better than previous windows versions for sure, but Apple constantly update and innovate. The next Windows is due in 2010. By then Apple will have upgraded their complete operating system 2 times...For me, I used to only use Windows...one day I was forced to use Apple (I was writing a paper for University) and that was it for me. I worked out how to do everything in a day and it was totally stable. Both my previous 2 mac book pros have never had to be restarted (except for system updates) and have never crashed or had security issues.

I use crossover games to play some PC games I can't get on Apple. I'm very happy with Apple....I have had several Windows laptops and desktop towers but now I don't think I'll buy one again. The ease of use and reliability of Apple is just awesome!

i don't tend to use any Hi-end apps, except Adobe products and music software, such as Logic. I never find myself thinking 'I wish i had that for my mac' when looking at software for Windows. For me it is a no brainer.

Each to their own. I guess if you are a hardcore Windows fanatic the logic behind Apple software can be a problem to begin with, but once you've got it...Apple is far and way better in all ways.

Of course there are people switching back to MS, even this is the first time that I ever heard of some actually doing it.

As computer users we are today in a much better position than a decade ago. At that time MS dictated how we should use a PC, while sometimes really offering crappy solutions (Internet Explorer 5-6, Windows Me, WindowsXP before the first service pack, e.g.).

Now MS has two major competitors, the Open Source movement with Linux OS and productivity software like Open Office, and Apple which offers - undisputed by almost all - superior software and hardware. All three competitors have a very different philosophy how to develop, distribute and use software.

Over the years MS as an extremely powerful monopolist grew old, slow and began to lack innovation. Now under pressure from it's competitors (Apple is selling 50% of the notebooks in the US and is leading in sales for PCs over 1.000 USD) MS needs to reinvent itself. Vista might be okay, but after 7 years of development and millions of dollars spend, most people were very disappointed about the outcome.

PS: The next evolutionary step of PCs software and hardware is already looming: The overnext operation system will not be bound to a single computer, but will probably be located in the Web and will power all our deviceses, regardless of the hardware. It's like today Windows running in a virtual environment on a Mac. All our data will be stored in a single location and snyced to all devices. Productivity software will run on servers as well like Google docs or by 37signals.

Apple did the first step by using its OS for the iPhone and MobileMe and MS is currently rolling out Live Mesh...

That is the main draw back, and it is what led me to go with the machine I did...which is supposedly a dedicated gaming machine, great speed for doing photo work...especially when "multi tasking." Too bad it just fuck up now and then. And even when it is running well, I just plain don't trust it...seems to have far too many glitches, and incompatibilities.

As for Apple, I don't intend to use dual operating systems, I'll stick with the Apple one. I have a version of Adobe Elements (legit copy) which is for PC, would like to use it on Mac, hence the desire for parallels. I also have a "copy" of Photo Shop CS2 for Apple that I *might* like to use.

Does anyone with a Mac run any anti virus with it? If so, which one?

You don't need anti-virus software, because there aren't any viruses. I've certainly never used any and I've not had any problems.

You might want to acquire 'little snitch' to block software calling home, if you ever use any questionable software...it's on version 2.04 now...an essential tool for some.

Archived