Apple Vs. PC/Windows...

Old Hippie

How do these compare speed and performance wise? Is a 21.66 mghz Apple with 2gb ram faster or slower, more/less reliable than a comparable Wi ndows/MS/PC type?

Given my recent Vista crap, I am going with an Apple I think. So any info, comparisons and contrast appreciated.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walt Moss did a famous test: Apple Leopard verso Windows Vista. He installed Vista on an iMac (using Bootcamp) and the Mac Vista was faster than any comparable Windows PC.

:)

I our office I exchanged my PC against an 24" iMac. I enjoy working with the iMac much more than with any PC (and I am a PC guy since over two decades).

My personal ups:

- speed is usually not an issue. But sometimes even my iMac (with 4GB) slows down, but only when I have many programs open at the same time (Word, Excel, Mail, Daylite CRM, Photoshop, iTunes, Jungle Disk, Sugarsync, Skype, Windows on Parallels, MS Access...)

- Extremely easy to use (after some days of learning the small and different details)

- No wasted time for PC maintenance (running defrag software, running anti-spyware, virus scans, e.g.)

- the machine is eye candy. Just sitting in front of it makes my workday more enjoyable.

- It's absolutely silent. You'll have to invest a lot of money in high end PC cooling fans to have an equally silent PC.

- Combined with Time Capsule you can set up a network in less than 10 minutes (including a normal printer used as WLAN printer). Also with this you have the most easiest to configure and use hardware backup system on the market.

- Apple search function is far superior. I use it every few minutes...

- To set up an Windows PC takes several hours, even with Vista preinstalled (security software, partition the HDD, and all the small Vista tweaks for to have it running smooth). Apple PCs are setup much faster, they almost work out of the box. You just need to install the additional software you need like MS Office, Firefox, Videolan, FTP software, e.g..

- Vista user management is still terrible compared to Apple, which makes Vista PCs less secure in the end.

Down sides:

- Almost no games, but since I am not a gamer this does not bother me at all

- price tag. If you buy an iMac you get the screen included (the 24" screen is brilliant, the 20" is said to be less good, but still ok). But usually I don't change my monitor every 3-4 years, which means that over the years an iMac might be more expensive

- They is no real substitute for Microsoft Outlook. The only comparable PIM for Macs is Microsoft's Entourage, but it's 1-2 generations behind Outlook.

- Of course generally much less software to choose from, but since iMac and Macbook sales are exploding this will become much better in the future.

PS: My switch to Mac strategy in the office - beginning with one iMac - is working. My boss just decided that she needs a Macbook soon in exchange for her Lenovo laptop, which is still working without problems.

:)

How do these compare speed and performance wise? Is a 21.66 mghz Apple with 2gb ram faster or slower, more/less reliable than a comparable Wi ndows/MS/PC type?

Given my recent Vista crap, I am going with an Apple I think. So any info, comparisons and contrast appreciated.

No brainer OH.....Buy yourself a MacBook and you will never look back.

If you want to use pc games, you can use "crossover games". It installs a little bit of windows and then you can run a lot of pc games on your mac. I use it. It works.

The same is true for applications...there's "crossover" which means you can use a lot of pc only stuff on your mac.

You can go the whole hog and get full blown virtualisation applications such as parallels for the whole windows in a window experience....but I don't.

With such options available I've no idea why people buy windows based pcs.

My macs haven't had any problems. I don't experience slowdown on my mac pro, but then I don't run more than 8 applications usually.

OH, any problems or things you need, just ask.

Problem is that the whole world is running on PC/Windows.

Mac has been a hobby computer, as good as it is, but it didn't capture the marketplace.

I do not like PC/Windows, but that is what the world uses so I am stuck with it at the moment.

I cut my teeth on computer main frames and UNIX, so Windows is just a POS compared to where I came from!

I know two guys who bought an iMac, the 24" version. They are absolutely happy with it and I can understand why that is. Because it has lots of applications, they don't have to think about it much, just use it.

Compared to a windows computer where one needs to add software until it is ready to do the tasks you want it to do. Good news, there's freeware for just about everything available for windows.

But then, the price: I won't spend half of the iMacs price on a custom made Pc, including 24" Monitor from Samsung (which is height-adjustable and swivels).

Plus I miss a few options with the iMac. I can't add a PCI card for DVB-S2 (HDTV over sat). Can't find an USB-box for DVB-S2 that has Mac drivers. Even if I could find an USB-box it's still more expensive than an PCI card and more cables/power adapter to hide. iMac says it has S/PDIF (digital aoudio) out to connect to a surround receiver. Connections seem to be non-standard so cables will be expensive. Can't add an internal drive to create a Raid-Array. No eSATA for external drives (but at least it has firewire). Some people like their DVD-burner to support Ligtscribe, iMac doesn't offer this.

To be fair, the options I miss aren't missed by most people.

The two guys I know who bought a 24" iMac, well the few things they use it for they could have done with a much cheaper PC as well. Running Ubuntu. They preferred to spend lots of money, much more than necessary.

Bottom line Macs are so much more user friendly.

Not sure about other countries but I think every Gov't school here runs Macs in the class room.

Task has a lot to do with your choice but as far as I know a mac will do anything a PC can do....just easier.

Archived