Apple Vs. PC/Windows...

Old Hippie

You don't need anti-virus software, because there aren't any viruses. I've certainly never used any and I've not had any problems.

There are, but the mac environment is less attractive to virus writing scum as less people use it. I believe the first viruses were for the mac.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

"You don't need anti-virus software, because there aren't any viruses."

Must be kinda embarrassing that nobody even bothers writing them, right? :)

Sanuk!

Until recently Apple users felt like belonging to an enlightened minority which uses superior products.

:)

In discussions about Windows versus Apple there is a lot of emotion and irrationalism involved, like Evil versus Good. But today it not that black and white anymore. While I think Apple products are a gerneration ahead of its competitors (iMac, Leopard, iPhone), Apple does a lot of powerplay to control the whole chain of distribution (closed source, DRM, simlock, iPhone Apps., e.g.) and to block any independent development.

... Now under pressure from it's competitors (Apple is selling 50% of the notebooks in the US and is leading in sales for PCs over 1.000 USD) MS needs to reinvent itself. ...

Do you have a reference for this 50% Mac notebook number? All I see is that Apple has a goal of 50% for next year.

The growth puts Apple in seventh place in overall worldwide notebook market share with 4.6 percent. HP (20.8 percent), Dell (15.1 percent), Acer (14.6 percent), Toshiba (9.3 percent), Lenovo (7.5 percent), and Fujitsu-Siemens (5.2 percent) all had higher market share numbers. Asus (4.3 percent) and Sony (4.2 percent) rounded out the list behind Apple.

Link

Walt Moss did a famous test: Apple Leopard verso Windows Vista. He installed Vista on an iMac (using Bootcamp) and the Mac Vista was faster than any comparable Windows PC.

:)

You should reread the article.

I then tested the machine using Vistaâ??s built-in Windows Experience Index, a rating system that goes from 1 to 5.9, with scores above 3.0 generally required for full, quick performance. My iMac scored a 5.0, the best score of any consumer Vista machine I have tested.

So he wasn't comparing similarly configured machines! One with the same CPU, same memory speed and size, same graphics, etc. It is a meaningless comparison. :nono:

Narrowing it down here...this one...

iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

24-inch glossy widescreen display

2GB memory

500GB hard drive

8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB memory

Built-in iSight Camera

Or this one...

Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors

1GB (2 x 512MB) memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)

250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200 rpm hard drive

16x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory

Was even toying with one of these...

Select your Mac mini.

1.83GHz : Combo Drive

2GHz : SuperDrive

Mac Mini

1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB memory 1GB memory

80GB hard drive1 120GB hard drive1

Just to get used to Apple systems...

Your thoughts?

iMac is your best bet, the Mac Pro is big and bulky for professionals. The positives for the Mac Pro are that you can install RAM/Drives/Cards easily, but will you need 4 terabytes of drive space? Multiple monitors? Whilst the iMac is a virtually sealed unit, it certainly has everything you need for now I'd suggest.

Hi,

"You don't need anti-virus software, because there aren't any viruses."

Must be kinda embarrassing that nobody even bothers writing them, right? :)

Sanuk!

I like it. Windows/Microshit have always been viewed as a monopolistic behemoth by the underground...of course the fact that it is so popular also drove a lot of malicious criminals to produce malware...

Personally I don't care if someone wants to use Windows or Apple's OSX. I know what I like and what works for me.

Archived