Fly United? "F" United

Hugh_Hoy

On one UAL flight, they weighed my bag and, as I was 1.5 pounds over 50, I was told I was being charged an overweight bag fee. So I opened my luggage and transfered a couple of items to my carry-on to make the checked bag under 50 lbs.

As I was doing this, I inquired as to why I was going thru this absurd exercise, as the plane was going to be carrying the same weight, and the agent explained that the ... I'm not making this up OH ... money went to the medical care of baggage handlers who hurt themselves hauling overweight bags. These caused me, and several other travelers and agents nearby to laugh out load.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...the agent explained that the ... I'm not making this up OH ... money went to the medical care of baggage handlers who hurt themselves hauling overweight bags..."

I know you aren't making it up, and it is utter bullshit, the money goes to the CEO and his buddies, the rank and file won't see a dime of it.

On one UAL flight, they weighed my bag and, as I was 1.5 pounds over 50, I was told I was being charged an overweight bag fee. So I opened my luggage and transfered a couple of items to my carry-on to make the checked bag under 50 lbs.

As I was doing this, I inquired as to why I was going thru this absurd exercise, as the plane was going to be carrying the same weight...

Not only do Yank airlines do this stupid shit, but the much vaunted SQ does as well. OK, well not SQ directly, but their subsidiary Silk Air (MI) does. "Just take three KG out of one of your checked bags and put it into your carry-on sir." The logic that the total weight would be the same was completely lost on the gal. :banghead:

Cheers,

SD

On one UAL flight, they weighed my bag and, as I was 1.5 pounds over 50, I was told I was being charged an overweight bag fee.

I can say this is fact, at least at NorthWORST. My immediate manager, in our daily briefing, told the staff that they are to charge excess if the bag is 50.5 or above. She said, "That bag is overweight, you will charge." She went on to say that she has no problem telling the passenger his bag is overweight so we shouldn't either. Needless to say, she was out on the frontlines quite a bit dealing with rightly pissed off passengers. Shows the mentality of our management.

I seem to recall the limit before was 70 lbs...as for 1-2 pounds over, where should the line be drawn? There has to be a reasonable cut off. As for additional charges, wait until they start banning "outside" food (they already did beverages in many cases) on flights, and thus you are forced to buy their crappy food at their ridicules prices or go hungry on the long flights...As far as I can see, greed rules the airline business, and there is no end in sight.

The airlines would get sued for banning outside food. People with diabetes, food allergies, religious dietary requirements, or healthy (organic) diet concerns would rebel.

...rebel and then what?

The airlines could care f'ck all.

Unless it is legal action that has a great chance of winning, the airlines will "tell" you to bugger off...IMO

I seem to recall the limit before was 70 lbs...as for 1-2 pounds over, where should the line be drawn? There has to be a reasonable cut off. As for additional charges, wait until they start banning "outside" food (they already did beverages in many cases) on flights, and thus you are forced to buy their crappy food at their ridicules prices or go hungry on the long flights...As far as I can see, greed rules the airline business, and there is no end in sight.

I used to carry about 100 CDs in my checked luggage and that usually put me over the weight limit. If there were going to charge me extra, I simply took out the CDs and carried them on to the plane!

Daaaahhhh, the "extra weight" still was on the plane but I didn't have to pay!!!

I clock in about 75Kg...will a 100Kg+ passenger have to pay an "excessive weight" charge? Will I get a discount since I am "slim and trim"???

Where does it stop? :dunno:

The airlines would get sued for banning outside food. People with diabetes' date=' food allergies, religious dietary requirements, or healthy (organic) diet concerns would rebel.[/quote']

...rebel and then what?

The airlines could care f'ck all.

Unless it is legal action that has a great chance of winning, the airlines will "tell" you to bugger off...IMO

You missed the word sued. Sued for health endangerment wrt food allergies and illness (diabetes). Sued for religious discrimination wrt dietary requirements.

Plus the airlines never load enough BoB to serve all pax.

Archived