What would you have done?

Ckrisg

Taken from Stickman Weekly 14/12/2008

"The incident that follows was never reported, or if it was, I missed it. On Thursday November 27 a reader was strolling down Sukhumvit Soi 13 back to his hotel in the middle of the afternoon. Just a dozen or so feet ahead of him was a 40ish Caucasian heading in the same direction. A Thai male appeared, walked up beside this farang, pulled out a pistol and shot him in the head at point blank range before dissolving in the direction of Soi 11, around the dog leg that points towards Cheap Charlie's. The guy who witnessed this was so freaked out he didn't even stop but hurried straight to his hotel room (a wise move), packed, and headed to Phuket and eventually to Kuala Lumpur from where he finally got a flight back to his homeland. He was so freaked out he did it all without sleeping for 60 hours." :question:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if I would tell someone I'd tell the local cops - why announce on Stick?

Because of the odds of anyone tracing it to you and doing anything to you are lower - by an order of magnitude in the tens of thousands - than reporting it to the MIB?

Seriously, I have no information on what happened, but I have no doubt that more seriously wrong things happen in Thailand than most visitors realize. The local press and distributors of the press do self-censor - there is really no disputing that now.

If you look at the official stats, Thailand is a seriously dangerous place. And the official stats under report reality here. I don't think a week goes by without an odd and very suspect "suicide" by a Farang in Thailand. Look at what happended when a corpse turned up after PAD left Bangkok's two airports; the authorities treated as though it was no big deal. Indeed, the whole occupation of the airport was treated rather oddly.

Is Thailand more dangerous than Southern Central LA? I don't know, but I suspect that for about 99% of us here, that is not the relevant comparison. Thailand is not a failed state, at least not yet, but it isn't the paradise some promoters make it out to be when it comes to life and limb.

I think I'd trust an anon call to the cops than to a local web master who could be leaned on to find "Who said this"?

Seriously - why did stick risk police interest by publicizing it? (Note I like Stick said 'ello just Friday gone) but to announce a story like this on a local web site is "odd" and I would definitely do a anon call to local (I actually meant your local interpol in home country) than telling stick.

You may be right, but I probably woud not be thinking straigt if I saw that. I have seen strange crap here - stuff I never saw in the US - but nothing like this. I am not sure how I would have handled, other than putting as much distance between me and the actual event after it happened.

Prolem is, I have seen corpses on the street of Thailand many times. Ususally fatal accidents, and usually motorcycles, but it all seems a part of everyday life. After 14 years, I still don't get it, and probably never will.

Yeah, this is the first I have heard of it...you'd think it would have been in the BKKPost, or Thaivisa etc...

When 4 Thai men with machetes tried robbing me, that didn't get in the paper, probably because it wasn't news. This happened near the skytrain.

Before They tried robbing me, they did rob another farang, also not too far from the skytrain. They left him for dead on the sidewalk as a result of bringing a machete blade down on to the top of his head.

Shit happens.

Shit, I know of one Thai who will go and beat the shit out of another person, if not worse, if you just talk bad ablout that person.

Our attacks occurred right after another war on drugs began. I contacted the USA embassey, and later realized that was a big 100% waste of time.

Archived