What would you have done?

Ckrisg

I'd definitely tell the cops. I would also probably up and move to another city for my fun. Maybe it would freak me out to the point I couldn't enjoy myself, so I may also cut my trip short.

If I saw that I'd tell someone. Myself and a former board member saw what may have been a guy with a girl who was way underage and we saw what hotel he stayed in. Tough choice because I certainly wouldn't want someone placing a paedo tag on me, but weighing the pros and cons decided to at least notify the hotel to keep an eye on the guy.

Perhaps it was none of my business.

I am not always like that. I am a bit of hypocrite on what I report. I've witnessed plenty of stuff growing up as a kid and the prevailing cultural rules were you did not tell the cops. There are a few murders that everyone knew about. We knew who did it and are still cold cases with the Philadelphia PD. I've seen things in LA as well that I simply kept going.

I pick my spots. Not proud of it but its what I do.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gadfly thinks that comparing a whole country's (tland) official violent crime rate with a tiny area of another country (a slice of LA in usa) is meaningful. It's even dumber than comparing the violent crime rates of 2 whole countries (when each country has huge variations WITHIN), which he often does in other posts...and draws conclusions

from that about danger in the areas he hangs out in....and that's almost as ridiculous.

if this really happened - the guy must have upset the wrong people - no way this being a random crime against 'innocent' tourist as e.g. the rape murders at beach resorts etc that go well reported although perhaps not case solved...

anyway why is this always about the odd farang who didn't do anything when clearly there's plenty of thais around a random afternoon - why didn't they do anything - comfort the paralyzed farang? :hmmm:

...not at all...after all, what dumber response to an incident like this could there be? not contacting the police (anon if you like), not calling an ambulance or por teck tung or the like...but fleeing and e-mailing some random english teacher...

frankly, much doubt this story...few years back an expat acquaintance was shot (point blank) and killed in front of his house in bkk...did make the news and led to court cases in los and abroad...victim very well knew (or should have known) he had it coming...

and if it did...did pi stick call the cops? morgues? hospitals? oh, i see, no money in dead people...i understand...

Lets say you get involved. The police catch the criminal and you are asked to identify him. Next comes the trial. Would you be willing to stay in Thailand so the criminal can have a fair trial? And if there is a trial, I wonder who would have to pay for your translator? And what happens if the criminal brings forth witnesses that say you shot the person, who will the court believe?

I think everybody acts according to the situation and being none of us were there, it is hard to tell what should have been done. Shit happens.

Maybe it goes unreported since they do not care about the Farangs. You don't see reports of Soi dogs getting killed either.

I was mugged on the skytrain skywalk near Central World.

The attack was on video but the cops couldn't bother even looking.

I wrote BTS Security..no reply.

You are on your own in Thailand. The Police hate foreigners.

When 4 Thai men with machetes tried robbing me, that didn't get in the paper, probably because it wasn't news. This happened near the skytrain.

You think it would have been reported if it had happened to a Good Thai Girl....... :cover:

Archived