Zantika fire????

drogon

About pyrotechnics (if some were used)

Just watched the end of the movie "200 pounds beauty" with the concert scene.

Seeing how the pyrotechnics went on stage -> if there were the same kind of fireworks then I noticed the drapery all around the stage...

So easy to catch fire and given the "wrong" materials are used -> I can see a fire spreding quickly...

Let the inquiry tells us more, seems for once that they could do it correctly and honestly...

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gadfly, I know that it would be chaotic in the event of a fire in NEP, but I dont remember seeing bars on windows, and I'd imagine that most of us could jump from the upstairs area, even if it meant breaking an ankle. It would depend on where the fire broke out, but as I never go beyond the open air area downstairs I reckon I could get out in time.

Most of the victims in fires die from suffocation or crowd panic, as was the case in Santika where people were trampled - its easy to say from this desk, but I think smoke would exit NEP quickly, hopefully giving most people time to get out. None of this excuses the neglect that the place has clearly suffered, but some of the upstairs rooms in Cowboy struck me as even nastier places to be trapped in the event of fire. Cant believe the girls live up there.

Let's hope we never have to find out what sort of damage a fire in NEP or Soi Cowboy would cause. From a patron's perspective, I feel safer in Soi Cowboy since there are two relatively broad entrances to the Soi while NEP essentially has a narrow funnel entrance/exit.

In any event, the police are apparantly charging the owner of Santika. But not because of the 60+ deaths and several hundred injuries. No, he is being charged because some of the patrons were underage.

Yeah, that's right: dangerous pyrotechnics near flammable drapery in an over-crowded bar with inadequate safety exits causes more than 60 deaths, and the MiB are charge the owner because some of the patrons were underage: "The police planned to charge a major shareholder of Santika pub named Visuk Setsawad, better known as Hia Khao, for allowing people under 20 years of age to enter the venue."

OK, I know TIT, but this is ridiculous. Thailand, once again, has the world's attention, and once again the world is :confused:

I notice the owner is better known by his Chinese name. My Thai-Chinese neighbor from the 'kitchen' incident (they finally finished on 25 December, but that is another story), posted a note in the lobby of my condo building in Thai (with spelling errors) claiming his best friend's son died in the Santika tragedy because Farangs carelessly started a fire. Yes, it specifically blames Farangs. The note concludes by saying that Farangs are dangerous for Thailand.

How do I know? He was caught on CCTV posting the note, and a Thai member of the condo owners association warned me about my neighbour was trying to create problems and showed me the tape. He also highlighted the spelling errors on the note.

What a way to start a new year. :(

"Since the fire is under investigation, the owner can hardly be charged. But allowing in underage patrons is something they can stick the guy with right now."

If that is the strategy, OK. But if it ends there, something is amiss. Moreover, at this point based on the information available now, I would think they would be able to hold (detain) him on more serious charges. In any event, I guess we will need to see how this plays out.

some of the upstairs rooms in Cowboy struck me as even nastier places to be trapped in the event of fire. Cant believe the girls live up there.

and some of the girls of certain bars are even locked in during night upstairs in SC! :banghead:

I think the upstairs areas in SC are pretty ok actually. The authorities came by about 4 years ago and made sure all the buildings have an external ladder. Check it out - they are in the front of the bars and can be seen from the street. I also know the fire extinguishers are checked regularly as are the emergency lights.

Seems ok - touch wood.

Cheers,

Mark

Archived