Valentine's Day in Siam ??

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen ,

meaningless things like Hamburgers , ipods etc have already invaded the world originating from the US , what about Valentine's Day and it's impact on the Kingdom . Reading Sticks site I feel alarmed by warnings of a flower delivery company that claims Valentines Day is a big thing in Thailand . Under no circumstance would I like to see Nok loosing face and rather prefer to bury her under expensive roses . Am I panicking ?

Dear Sir Bubi

Yes you are definitely panicking...

Because I am a dumb romantic I was planning to offer something but the missus already said that although she has been very happy with previous flower deliveries -> we have to save money

:beer:

So she requested me to sing a song on the phone

(although I would far prefer some roses as I sing like a dying cow)

:banghead:

A quick survey among her colleagues/friends, this awful Valentine custom has not really invaded Thailand yet (although many businesses would like you to believe otherwise).

Now, depending if your sweetheart loves flowers, it might be advisable to offer her flowers quite often....

I just fear that in the future, Thai businesses will do like the ones back here -> and see valentine = additional profits.

Strange, I suppose we are both right depending on the people we know....Maybe the fact that no Thai ladies I know are under 25 years old might play a role???

Anyway, follow your instinct and your heart (or another part of your anatomy) when it comes to women and gifts....

Hi,

I'm with Faustian on this one. If I were to forgot about Valentine's day I would be in deep shit.

This year I was told not to buy any flowers though (I have 2 witnesses :) ). Of course, she wants something else, and that is likely gonna cost me more than some overpriced roses :)

Sanuk!

Speaking of overpriced roses....back here 12 roses of average quality = around 4k bht....

Seems I am wrong on this one and that my group of Thai ladies is far more "conservative" than the ones you know....

Sad that the "invasion" touched BKK so much (I doubt Valentine is as important in the countryside)

My bad, different experience

Valentines here is huge but roses oddly cheap. A few hundred baht will buy a dozen - paper and delivery more.

The worlds largest mass weddings regularly occur in Thailand - on 14th,

The newspapers every year report the police will raid hotels looking for young girls loosing it.

Quite a production.

That said I do think under 25's are more keen than over - but my wife and I suspect KS's are over 25 also ;)

It is indeed monster here. Any woman who declares it an irrelavance does not live in consumerist Bangkok, or she's counting the baht that could go elsewhere.

That St Valentines (plural as it seems there are a shed load of em) should be in any way recognised here is less mystifying to me than all hallows eve, a pagan festival if ever there was one.

Anyway I'm with you other guys, dead at dawn if I don't make out with something suitable on the day

Archived