Excuse me, miss, are you a whore?

Wallenda

Thais have always fucked so brothels existed before the Vietnam war.

but did the VN war significantly impact the growth of the for-locals scene? Did those giant massage places exist before then? Any relationship between them and the war?

Intersting question. But couldn't the MP's be compared with overall developement of BKK (department stores catering the new middle- and old upper class, e.g.)?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose. Just wondering how much relationship there was between the boom of the for-foreigners scene and the for-locals. I'm sure there must be guys here who know the story inside out. I dunno anything about it.

I know they have happy barber shops and massages all over China, no way we could have had anything to do with that.

But the whole fishbowl thing for example, when did that start?

but did the VN war significantly impact the growth of the for-locals scene? Did those giant massage places exist before then? Any relationship between them and the war?

Only in the minds of NGO's and News Hounds wanting a story

• 2 weeks later...

Only in the minds of NGO's and News Hounds wanting a story

While the Japanese had fostered prostitution on a limited scale to serve their own needs, "the boom in Southeast Asia started with the U.S. presence in Vietnam. There were 20,000 prostitutes in Thailand in 1957 and by 1964, after the United States established seven bases in the country, that number had skyrocketed to 400,000.

It was this boom, and the resulting slack after the war that was taken up by tourism, that introduced prostitution as a large-scale business to the region.

This whole process was overseen by the governments of both countries. In 1967, Thailand agreed to provide "rest and recreation" services to American servicemen during the Vietnam War, which the soldiers themselves called intercourse and intoxication. In fact, the Vietnam war was responsible for injecting some $16 million into the Thai economy annually, money that tourism would have to replace after the war was over.

Bust - Complete and utter bullshit

<>

The population at that time was 30 000 000

Half Female

15 000 000

5 300 000 Million females aged 14 or below

9 700 000 Females over the age of 14 - that's out of the total population.

80% lived in rural areas - 1 940 000 females in city areas. And you suggesting 1 in 5 is a whore?

Stoopid bullshit propagated by NGO's giving people and cuntries bad images.

My links are Nation Master and Mahidol Population Gazette - yours?

While the Japanese had fostered prostitution on a limited scale to serve their own needs, "the boom in Southeast Asia started with the U.S. presence in Vietnam. There were 20,000 prostitutes in Thailand in 1957 and by 1964, after the United States established seven bases in the country, that number had skyrocketed to 400,000.

It was this boom, and the resulting slack after the war that was taken up by tourism, that introduced prostitution as a large-scale business to the region.

This whole process was overseen by the governments of both countries. In 1967, Thailand agreed to provide "rest and recreation" services to American servicemen during the Vietnam War, which the soldiers themselves called intercourse and intoxication. In fact, the Vietnam war was responsible for injecting some $16 million into the Thai economy annually, money that tourism would have to replace after the war was over.

Seems like you are quoting -- where is this from? Actually, it does seem like the census-taking of whores isn't something that a very face-oriented and traditional society like Thailand's would have been excellent at in the days prior to the 1960s. I'd think if anything the Japanese woudl have claimed there were none, and if they reported at all it would have been estimating lower rather than higher.

According to this source, it seems as if this phenomenon was created by Thailand's own government. I mean, obviously they wouldn't have done that if they hadn't had some incentive. Received some incentive. (it must have been an interesting meeting)

Still, I wonder what the scene was like back in, say, the Japanese days, or prior. Apparently back in the VN War time, Petchaburi Road was the epicenter of the scene. When you think about it, 20,000 (if that's correct) from the Japanese days is still a lot. I think if you put all of the farang spots of BKK and Pattaya together, it'd come up short of that number.

400,000 is the current estimate? Hm. That's about 8 stadiums full. Now there's a venue I'd like to check out. A stadium full of available women. (guess that's how the Beatles must've felt)

Archived