U.S. Demos Given ANOTHER Kick in the Ass

Hugh_Hoy

Venezuela oil 'may double Saudi Arabia'

A new US assessment of Venezuela's oil reserves could give the country double the supplies of Saudi Arabia.

Scientists working for the US Geological Survey say Venezuela's Orinoco belt region holds twice as much petroleum as previously thought.

The geologists estimate the area could yield more than 500bn barrels of crude oil.

This assessment is far more optimistic than even the best case scenario put forward by President Hugo Chavez.

The USGS team gave a mean estimate of 513bn barrels of "technically recoverable" oil in the Orinoco belt.

Chris Schenk of the USGS said the estimate was based on oil recovery rates of 40% to 45%.

Petroleos de Venezuela SA (PDVSA), Venezuela's state oil company, has not commented on the news.

However, Venezuelan oil geologist and former PDVSA board member Gustavo Coronel was sceptical.

"I doubt the recovery factor could go much higher than 25% and much of that oil would not be economic to produce", he told Associated Press news agency.

Venezuela holds the largest oil reserves outside the Middle East. Saudi Arabia has proven reserves of 260 billion barrels.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8476395.stm

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Goldwater said the Republican party had been taken over by the religious right, which he said would be its downfall. He also said abortion was a woman's business, not politicians'. Nowadays Goldwater would probably be seen as almost middle of the road, not right wing.

Poor Goldie also had a hatchet job done on him by LBJ's political machine. They portrayed him as a war monger, when in fact Goldwater was a veteran with long service and a fine military record. LBJ got commissioned an O-4, served 6 months active duty, and got a Silver Star for making a plane ride where no one even got shot at. Which one would you rather have as commander in chief? Which would care more about the troops?

Goldwater was essentially a libertarian. He was also one of the Republicans to tell Nixon its over. As you say, he also vehemently opoosed the religious right. He was against the Civil Rights Act of 1964, but had a history of voting for civil rights. It was said he was 'wrong for the right reasons' for the opposition. He saw it as an intrusion of the federal government on the states' right and on businesses and people to associate with whom they want. Personally, he was very accepting of all people, blacks included. Anti union as well, which was noted. Very honest.

Just my guess from what I've read about him, he would be a free marketer but vehementally opposed to any bailout. He's also probably be vehementally opposed to the Patriot's Act.

Good points. Back on topic, why do so many patriotic conservative Americans seem so hell bent on making this president fail and thus the country fail as well?

Because its not about the country its about getting power back. The country is secondary to that end.

However, I would apply the same to the Dems as well if roles were reversed although I give the Democrats more credit for sticking to their ideals. They at least do what they say they are for. Like it or not, much of it I don't like.

Republicans are the wild card in my book. Doctrine wise for small government, less spending, balanced books, government out of the bedroom and private life, strict constructionists with regards to the constitution but have done the complete opposite. They are against spending on social things but don't mind defense spending. Budget deficits are fine IF its as a result of defense spending. Anti abortion, Patriot's Act, etc. are all intrustion into personal liberty. The prior administration openly skirted the constitution and looked for ways around it. The party has no soul. Sadly.

Simple way to fix the USA problems:

1. Every person over 50 y.o gets $1M to retire. Now we have jobs and have fixed the unemployment problem! (that would be say 20M jobs!)

2. Those that accept the $1M must buy a new American made car. Now we fixed the US auto industry problem. 20M cars sold!

3. Those that accept the $1M must buy or pay off a house. Now we fixed the banking problem.

This $1M X 20M = 2,000,000,000,000.

$2T, cheaper then this US bailout shit which has only provided lavish parties for a select few companies and CEOs!!!

I read somewhere the government could have used the bail out money to pay off every mortgage in the USa, or give 100K to every American tax payer...something like that...think of how well that would have stimu,ated things...

Flash,

Venezuela has a lot of oil? I heard they also had weapons of mass distruction as well...

China has come out of seclusion and is making a presence in the world, especially the 3rd world due to its almost unquenchable need for oil and natural resources to maintain and increase its growth.

After commercial involvement, comes a military presence. Typically via a strong navy. Its the same formula the Brits and we did to get our global footprint.

Its over folks. Learn mandarin. I'm not joking.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/126/special-report-china-in-africa.html

In just a few years, the People's Republic of China (PRC) has become the most aggressive investor-nation in Africa. This commercial invasion is without question the most important development in the sub-Sahara since the end of the Cold War -- an epic, almost primal propulsion that is redrawing the global economic map. One former U.S. assistant secretary of state has called it a "tsunami." Some are even calling the region "ChinAfrica."

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/2009/0712/p06s10-woam.html

All but invisible in Latin America a decade ago, China now is building cars in Uruguay, donating a soccer stadium to Costa Rica, and lending $10 billion to Brazil's biggest oil company.

It's supplanted the United States to become the biggest trading partner with Brazil, South America's biggest economy.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/AsiaandthePacific/wm2752.cfm

As has occurred historically with other rising powers, the most concrete manifestation of expanding interests, resources, and military capabilities is an expanding navy. Over the past two decades, the PLAN has grown from a primarily coastal defense force to a green- and blue-water navy. (Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN)

Archived