Stickman

checkbin

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Important. Did not intend to sound like I was itching for a physical 'fight.'

Heh heh. Well that's good, cuz I'm a total wimp when it comes to fights. Interesting story. Now get this: I lived in Berlin too, 86-87, and actually used to hit a few of those Kudamm spots -- damn, I can't remember the name of the one we hit most often, but it was also on Kudamm in a spot where you'd see working girls hanging around outside. I came back to Berlin in 1990 and the place was gone, so probably not the same one you worked in. Ah the name just came back to me: Chez Konrad (after Adenauer, with kitschy pix of him around the club). The place would be pretty dead until about 2am. There was another one near the Zoo (much bigger) in a huge basement space that was the after after hours spot (we'd get there around 5am, when things started to pick up). This was the Berlin club scene in those days, you'd start out midnightish and move around the city from one club to another, and each of those places would get crowded as their peak hrs arrived... it was all unwritten but everyone knew. Other key clubs then were of course the Metropol at Nollendorfplatz, and a cool little club in Kreuzberg (36) called Grex.

Yeah I also had that kind of view of working girls back then. In those days the most were lined up in Zoologischer Garten on (I think) that street named for a historical date... or was it Unter den Linden. It's all fuzzy now. Long time ago. 80 marks was the going price those days.

Hi,

"I'm surprised the mods let this shit go on."

Actually, a lot has been deleted already.

What remains isn't worth deleting as it is so ludicrous all it does is make jack_schist look stupid.

Sanuk!

Stick, I have to agree with Khun Sanuk here. Reasonable people realize when a someone is spewing garbage--many times it's best to leave their garbage up in public for all to see their propensity to spew drivel.

Having said that, I for one thoroughly enjoyed your complete demolition of the drivel at the top of the page.

On another note, there some great stuff being written in this thread, for example the discussion between Wendella and Dave32. It's worth it to wade through the horseshit to find the good stuff.

The after-hours spot you went was probably the Linientreu. Mostly dance music. I was in there once early morning and they'd been playing Front242-Nitzer Ebb - Depeche Mode stuff when a new DJ came on and opened with 'shook me all night long' by AC/DC -- the crowd roared and all these young Germans were singing along. Pretty neat moment.

Kreuzberg eh? I'm impressed. Most visitors stayed on the Kudamm, but the Berliners -- they went to the Kreuzberg. Smaller word of mouth places that were gems in the rough.

Were you military? I knew a couple guys at McNair and would occasionally drop in at a place called Studio 78 (ha!) close to there. Was the main American hangout off base. I actually enlisted due to their influence and as a way to get back to Europe (and be paid for it). Wound up in Vicenza Italy. Was interesting.

Anyway, babbling. Chalk the topic up as agree to disagree?

Take care.

Thanks Expat. Figured I'd probably rambled on a little excessive and redundant and worn out welcome.

Wendella is a sharp cat. No doubt about it. Otherwise I wouldn't have felt the compulsion to respond as much.

Short, to the point, and on topic will be one of my belated new year's resolutions.

Starting tomorrow of course.

:)

Look, every nationality represented on this board takes a bashing at some point, this week it is New Zealand, next week it will be Sierra Leon, then Canada, then Portugal etc...pretty soon we will back to bashing the USA and we will all be happy again.

I'd love to see Stick respond to my post earlier. He only seems to answer the easy questions / soft touches. Many of you guys seem to mistake what I'm trying to achieve here. I'm not attacking him, I'm trying to get through to him. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

I suppose it's not easy making a living out of such a poor country. I do admire his tenacity. But such a waste of a life, what is he going to do after this? Or is he doomed to eternal servitude to some dumb heirachy that he could never partake of properly, due to his proud European heritage which he is openly racially ostracised against?

Sometimes people need a wake up call, and since he's come here - I want to wake him up!!!

Perhaps I'm his only real friend here he's got - better at least then the amount of sychophants that appear to crowd around him & see any criticism as some kind of personal insult, and allegience to some whacko that doesn't make sense. If I criticise Stick - this world isn't black & white, last time I looked and the either you're with him or against him brigade are simply idiots.

I'm still for Stickman. Just want to help him, that's all. After all - isn't that what a forum is all about?

The after-hours spot you went was probably the Linientreu. Mostly dance music. I was in there once early morning and they'd been playing Front242-Nitzer Ebb - Depeche Mode stuff when a new DJ came on and opened with 'shook me all night long' by AC/DC -- the crowd roared and all these young Germans were singing along. Pretty neat moment.

Kreuzberg eh? I'm impressed. Most visitors stayed on the Kudamm, but the Berliners -- they went to the Kreuzberg. Smaller word of mouth places that were gems in the rough.

Were you military? I knew a couple guys at McNair and would occasionally drop in at a place called Studio 78 (ha!) close to there. Was the main American hangout off base. I actually enlisted due to their influence and as a way to get back to Europe (and be paid for it). Wound up in Vicenza Italy. Was interesting.

Anyway, babbling. Chalk the topic up as agree to disagree?

Take care.

Sure A/D indeed. Linientreu is correct, yeah. Forgot the name. The DJ cue you mention sounds right -- weird. I was a young purple-haired punk type those days, so I actually fit in pretty well in Kreuzberg, even lived there a few months on Oranienstrasse (used to see a young Nick Cave around the neighborhood pretty often -- didn't realize then that he lived there too -- Bad Seeds were his new band around then).

You're full of shit. Period.

I'm surprised the mods let this shit go on. Seems to be a sign of the times.

It’s very easy to single out a group of people for comment on their societal norms and make judgements on their moral fibre. Doesn’t matter if what is said is obviously total nonsense, the more off the mark it is the more likely it is to raise ire and a flurry of comment not only about the subject matter but also about the integrity of the individual(s) making that comment.

Thankfully web forums give those who disagree the opportunity to have some sort of redress.

As someone who makes a living out of making comment on others be it their culture, behaviours and value sets in the public domain, It’s interesting to see your response of indignation and your appeal for a moderator to censure comment that is obviously false about your own nationality. That’s totally understandable and not that different to those people that take umbrage at your weekly and largely unsubstantiated commentary.

Stereotyping and generalisations are indeed horseshit. Be it on a national, cultural, educational or socio-economic level. Thinking about that may help you understand the reaction you get from some.

Good to see at least one or two people get the irony, most didn’t. More importantly you obviously didn’t.

Just one man’s opinion

Your New Zealand Commentator.

Look, every nationality represented on this board takes a bashing at some point, this week it is New Zealand, next week it will be Sierra Leon, then Canada, then Portugal etc...pretty soon we will back to bashing the USA and we will all be happy again.

I just met a bloke from Bosnia this morning. He helped me get some pics (nothing naughty) off my camera and onto a memory stick via his laptop. Wonderful helpful people the Bosnians.

Archived