Why Americans vote against their own interests

robaus

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I probably will be moving to Thailand (or some other reasonably price/cheap 3rd world destination) in about 10-13 years, so I won't be getting medicare, or, at least, not for very long (4-5 years). B.T., you mean you don't trust the federal government to repay, with interest, all the IOU's it has put in the medicare trust fund account? If you can tell me the difference between what the federal government does in raiding medicare and social security and what corporations used to (hopefully) do to its employee's 401K's (which was illegal), I'd appreciate it.

Some of the part B plans can be used overseas so not a total waste.

What the Federal government has done to Social Security and Medicare is a national disgrace.

"I would also like to hear theories on what europe would be like without American leadership and influence over the decades. Interesting thought. Would europe be better off or worse off?"

Read Robert Harris's novel "Fatherland."

Read it. Great book. The movie sucked.

Let me re-state the question. Germany and europe get the Marshall Plan but pretty much go back to pre world war isolationism afterwards. What would have happened?

With the invasion of Iraq began the erosion of trust into the abilities and intentions of the USA.

No ones perfect. ;)

I have to ask then wouldn't the election of Obama in such dramatic fashion restore some of that trust?

In fact he gained some trust internationally because he seems to act much more rational than GWB. Nevertheless he won't be able change much as a leader of a weakend super power.

Has anybody looked at Sarah Palin's book? To me, it is a book with 2 covers and nothing between the covers.

The selection of her as a VP candidate and the fawning of her as the second coming left me no doubt whatsoever the Republican party has completely lost its soul and has no love for the country. To actually consider her to be one heart beat away from running the country is just shy of treasonous.

I can understand the skepticism and mistrust of Obama (not the hatred though), but it was obvious he is extremely intelligent (book smarts) and has a strong will. Apologies to JFK lovers but there really is a similarity there with how both were viewed as candidates and how they really are. Young and inexperienced but in reality very intelligent and strong-willed.

The Republican who saw the Palin selection for what it was, was one of the rare Republicans that should have been selected. Colin Powell. His honesty should have been applauded and instead he was accused of the most baseless and insulting accusation of choosing Obama because of racial identity.

As much as he is villified, Newt Gingrich did have some good ideas. He was a fiscal conservative. He made friends with the religious right but he wasn't one of them. The 'Contract With America' had some good ideas on it regarding costs.

The last good Republican ticket was Dole-Kemp. Kemp especially was my favorite Republican. Very good ideas, not one of the social conservatives, had a knowledge and empathy for the poor with great ideas on how to fix the problems. I think he even spoke spanish. Clinton was doing great in '96 and I had no problems with him but had no problem with the Dole/Kemp ticket.

With the invasion of Iraq began the erosion of trust into the abilities and intentions of the USA.

No ones perfect. ;)

I have to ask then wouldn't the election of Obama in such dramatic fashion restore some of that trust?

In fact he gained some trust internationally because he seems to act much more rational than GWB. Nevertheless he won't be able change much as a leader of a weakend super power.

That I agree with. As you may have read in other threads I consider the U.S. done as the premier world super power. I think its now China in fact if not publicly acknowledged as such.

That said, I think europe will just replace America with China and it will be much worse off for that. With all due respect Europe has no stomach for much. In terms of will, europe as a whole may as well just re-name itself France. (joking aside using the U.S. view, erroneous as it is, towards France).

Europe is worst off than the U.S. It will come under Chinese influence and indirect control (via its economic ties) eventually, sooner rather than later in my humble opinion.

I have a theory though. Kooky as it sounds, I think China will be the one power that will eventually fight fundamentalism in Europe. It will do so for its own selfish reasons and it will have a strange partnership with Israel with regards to that. The one thing the mid east believes I think is that Europe has no stomach to fight the rise of fundamentalism and will submit itself to having a quasi islamic state within a state. By that I mean it will let (or be forced) to allow its islamic populace to put their sharia law or whatever islamic law they want over the national law or at best regarded as equal to it.

Europe is infinitely more susceptible to domestic terrorism from fundamental islam than the U.S.

I also think it will be China and not the U.S. that could find a viable solution for Israel and the Palestinians in the future. Again, for its own selfish reasons as it will need stability in the region for its oil.

Archived