Man Flies Plane Into IRS Bldg

Steve

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ever been audited by the IRS?

Never, probably because I never have pursued deductions aggressively enough to trigger the red flag. Never had the chance. If I were audited, you can bet your bottom dollar that I would have an aggressive accountant at my side in all of the interviews. You can also bet you bottom dollar I would never have perused aggressive deductions in the first place unless I were advised to do so by the accountant. If I was capitalized to that degree, I would have hired the best.

No, it works like a ponzi scheme.

GWB gave a speech once (It was on the Whitehouse web site, might still be there) in which he said the USA is not going to pay the money back.

Bush? Sounds like someone trying to privative Social Security. That is a fight he lost. Stick a fork in him, he’s done.

It is not a ponzi scheme because ponzi schemers don't invest the incoming money, social security does. The basic operation of the social security system is public and well known, and there are no promises of huge returns. Because of the age demographics, it is going to need some tweaking, but unless people stop having sex these are not the fatal flaws that doom a real ponzi scheme.

I suspect that people who call the social security a ponzi scheme are really mad that richer workers end up subsidizing poorer workers. Conservatives have always wanted to do away with this program but know doing it directly is a loser at the voting box. Why not instead run the government with huge deficits and then call for cuts in Social Security? oops.

No' date=' it works like a ponzi scheme.

GWB gave a speech once (It was on the Whitehouse web site, might still be there) in which he said the USA is not going to pay the money back.[/quote']

Bush? Sounds like someone trying to privative Social Security. That is a fight he lost. Stick a fork in him, he’s done.

It is not a ponzi scheme because ponzi schemers don't invest the incoming money, social security does. The basic operation of the social security system is public and well known, and there are no promises of huge returns. Because of the age demographics, it is going to need some tweaking, but unless people stop having sex these are not the fatal flaws that doom a real ponzi scheme.

I suspect that people who call the social security a ponzi scheme are really mad that richer workers end up subsidizing poorer workers. Conservatives have always wanted to do away with this program but know doing it directly is a loser at the voting box. Why not instead run the government with huge deficits and then call for cuts in Social Security? oops.

Sounds like you have done your research.

Never' date=' probably because I never have pursued deductions aggressively enough to trigger the red flag. Never had the chance. If I were audited, you can bet your bottom dollar that I would have an aggressive accountant at my side in all of the interviews. You can also bet you bottom dollar I would never have perused aggressive deductions in the first place unless I were advised to do so by the accountant. If I was capitalized to that degree, I would have hired the best.[/quote']

I had a CPA once - $250.00 per hour - do you know how many hours it will it take to do an audit?

Never' date=' probably because I never have pursued deductions aggressively enough to trigger the red flag. Never had the chance. If I were audited, you can bet your bottom dollar that I would have an aggressive accountant at my side in all of the interviews. You can also bet you bottom dollar I would never have perused aggressive deductions in the first place unless I were advised to do so by the accountant. If I was capitalized to that degree, I would have hired the best.[/quote']

All fine and dandy, but there is such a thing as a "random audit." True a lot of what the IRS accuses people of may later be found in favor of the defendant, but it is the incompetency and zealotry that lead to this in the first place. It is also their record of stupidity and lies that leads to "accelerated collections" (raids and seizure of assets) that has made the IRS infamous.

Then there is the tax code...accounts are baffled by it at times, as it contradicts itself, and is not written in proper English and is thus subject to interpretation...as in up to the judge should it go that far...all because someone may well have made an honest mistake.

Some of the problems deal with record keeping.

For example, somebody returns something - they get the cost of the item plus the sales tax. Sounds okay but records have to be maintained that it was a legitimate return. If you can not prove the person bought the item from you, you might lose taking the value of the deduction.

Purcasing items can be a big problem especially if you are buying overseas.

If you borrow money to keep the business going, might come back to sting you.

There are so many things that can go wrong that if you do get chosen for an audit, it is easy picking grounds for the auditor.

I know I started a tax thread but in reality its about the demise of the U.S. and us as a collective.

This article is wordy and long and a little boring in places but its chilling.

http://www.alternet.org/story/145840/joe_bageant:_americans_are_"hope_fiends"_because_honestly_looking_at_the_present_situation_would_destroy_just_about_everything_we_hold_as_reality?page=entire

I had a CPA once - $250.00 per hour - do you know how many hours it will it take to do an audit?

Yup, that is exactly what I paid too. Maybe the same dude. Not for audit, but for filing. Still, a small expense in terms of the profit so worth it.

I suspect if you knew all the facts in some of these IRS cases, the "victim" is not always as innocent as meets the eye. I hear about what people sometimes get away with.

But we can all stipulate that retarded shit happens to innocent people. Sometimes at the hands of the IRS, sometimes times at the hands of the police, sometimes the health insurance companies, sometimes the banks, and, most likely in my experience, their employer. People fuck with people.

Archived