Living with a Thai Girl - Songkran's Started the Old Style

Nervous God

Living with a Thai Girl – The Real Songkran

Well, contrary to official notices it started today in my village. Not the chaos, well, OK, I admit some of the chaos is starting, but the old style tradition is alive and well.

Sorry about the poor quality of photo's, taken with the mobile, but you get the general idea.

Everyone gathers under the town hall, err, shed without walls. The old people sit around two edges, no particular order that I can discern except the old men are first,. There is only a handful of them, compared to the number of ladies.

Oddly the oldest person in the village, a old man who walks 2 – 4 km a day isn't there.

Families are there, outside the shed, with specially prepared buckets of water. The water is sprinkled with flowers, you can see my kids making their water, then some add nice smelling powder, the stinging powder is never used.

Next the teachers from the school arrive, and the village Shaman sits in the middle of the hall, with his wife, and the headmaster leads a prayer, after that everyone queues up and with their bucket of water and a small cup, sprinkle water and flowers in the hands of the old people.

The old people then take the water and pat the back of the person sprinkling them.

Everyone is fairly wet and cool by the end, music starts and I had a dance with a very sprightly sexy gal of 72.

My son chose his favourite old gal “Sexy Woman†as he calls her, for a dance.

All in all, a great start to songkran, and glad it's still done.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I think we'll have a similar ceremony when we get back, although more close-knit (family only). Mom and Dad will sit on the 'porch', family lines up to sprinkle a bit of water on their hands and get a white string attached to their wrist.

Sanuk!

Living with a Thai Girl – The Real Songkran

My son chose his favourite old gal “Sexy Woman†as he calls her, for a dance.

[color:red]555 The old one with the HUGE tits...lol... Like Father like son.... Glad my little mate is having a good time[/color]

All in all, a great start to songkran, and glad it's still done.

[color:red]Thanks for sharing....It's all started up here as well....Just had a procession of about 60 people....dancing to the drum beat come swaying down my driveway...lots of water "sharing"....I was lazy and got out the hose...lol.... a few very attractive youngens' amongst the crowd.....Dunno why but they got the longest cooling off from the hose..... everyone had a ball....and I got to check out 3 or 4 very cute Wet T shirts.....

Songkran....Love it![/color]

Gobble....whilst your observation is probably accurate....One needs to consider the fact that the $$ earnt in those "ST's" help to enable a lot of these old folks to survive...

In a Western sense it's hard to comprehend sometimes....but here...It's just part of life!

Most of the old folk are real characters....and I've found them extremely farang friendly....they all want to have "Chat"....and have a feel..(NOT "That" way)

Country life is fantastic....once you get into the "Groove"

Cheers...and Happy Songkran to All

"Farmer" DC

LOL

Happy Songkran Chappy

We're growin' all sorts of good things up here.... :p:p:p

I'll be "checking out one of the "Crops" over Songkran...

Hehehe....The next 5 years worth of Soi Cowboy "recruits"...

..and ALL with WET T shirts :grinyes::grinyes::grinyes:

Ahhhh...Cuntry life....just love it

Cheers (Not so) DC

Archived