Paki attacki the Glass Door

BadaBing

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cook-book misprint costs Australian publishers dear

An Australian publisher has had to pulp and reprint a cook-book after one recipe listed "salt and freshly ground black people" instead of black pepper.

Penguin Group Australia had to reprint 7,000 copies of Pasta Bible last week, the Sydney Morning Herald has reported.

The reprint cost A$20,000 ($18,000; £12,000), but stock in bookshops will not be recalled as it is "extremely hard" to do so, Penguin said.

The recipe was for spelt tagliatelle with sardines and prosciutto.

"We're mortified that this has become an issue of any kind, and why anyone would be offended, we don't know," head of publishing Bob Sessions is quoted as saying by the Sydney newspaper.

Penguin said almost every one of the more than 150 recipes in the book listed salt and freshly ground black pepper, but a misprint occurred on just one page.

"When it comes to the proofreader, of course they should have picked it up, but proofreading a cook-book is an extremely difficult task. I find that quite forgivable," Mr Sessions said.

If anyone complains about the "silly mistake", they will be given the new version, Penguin said.

I find nothing wrong with the term "Paki". However, if people of Pakistan/ethnic Pakistani's are offended by the term, I think I would merely avoid using "Paki" in their presence. Otherwise, I see no reason to avoid using the term. In the absence of putting an adjective in front of the term, I really don't see problem. I would like to know why Paki's are offended by the term. If I knew, perhaps I'd be open to rethinking the issue.

HH

The word "Paki" is an abbreviation for Punjabi Afghani Kashmiri Indian. The name was chosen because it represented the regional ethnic mix. British Indians rightly objected to the term "Paki" because they came from India, not Pakistan. People from Pakistan have no reason to complain.

I think the point that Robaus (and Ratchada) are failing to make is that what the speaker of the word "Paki" means does not matter. It is up to the listener to determine whether the word is offensive or not. Well I find all words used by Robaus to be offensive so will he please kindly shut up.

EXACTLY...which is why I suggested that the passive aggressive poster (can't remember the bitches' moniker) who claimed it was "non-racist" go and speak it to a group of Pakistani males in a Pakistani neighborhood...which he was clearly NOT willing to do, because doing so would get the fucking SHIT beaten out of him, because it's perceived by Pakistanis to be racist...which is ALL that matters.

If the minority that the term is directed towards (and HELLO, "Brits" are NOT a minority, they are an EMPOWERED majority!!!), then it's racist, pure and simple...so DON'T USE IT, or risk being branded by rational folk as the racist asshole that you are...as such, you have NO rights...so be good, and do what's right. and you won't be fucked with.

So then Ratchada, or should that be Hypocrite, by using the word "Paki" to describe the people from Pakistan the same as I, and the rest of the world, use Afghani to describe the people from Atghanistan, I am potentialy offending 145.5 Million people makes me a racist asshole, your offensive comments about 346 Million people from the Middle East is perfectly fine and makes you an upstanding pillar of Society I guess.

What a Moron.

A fine list that it is....BUT.. if your going to be in bed with Ratchada...then you and he need to add the board owner of this site to your list...well according to this post , we are Nazi's also...please give us whats due to us.... we do have resume's to maintain mind you..... :hug:

Haha...well, first of all, I'm glad to see I have fans who read and make note of all my posts...!

But I must say that my use of the word "Nazi" in that particular post was more in the Jerry Seinfeld, "Soup Nazi" vein, referring to those who assert the few moments of authority in their otherwise pathetic lives to selectively and gleefully "rule" over others in the limited contexts in which they can, haha...

What can I say? If you're a "moderator" of a pussy forum, and the shoe fits...!!

Cook-book misprint costs Australian publishers dear

An Australian publisher has had to pulp and reprint a cook-book after one recipe listed "salt and freshly ground black people" instead of black pepper.

Should be a market for it in PNG. :patty:

Spellcheck has a lot to answer for... just because a word is spelled right, doesn't make it the right word.

Hi,

"But I must say that my use of the word "Nazi" in that particular post was more in the Jerry Seinfeld, "Soup Nazi" vein, referring to those who assert the few moments of authority in their otherwise pathetic lives to selectively and gleefully "rule" over others in the limited contexts in which they can, haha..."

Which basically means you are insulting me without even knowing me. I guess this shows more about your character than mine.

"What can I say? If you're a "moderator" of a pussy forum, and the shoe fits...!!"

Aren't you the smart one. By adding that line you 'ensure' that if I take action I 'proof' your assessment. Or so you think. Luckily the majority of people on this board know me better.

A week on the bench might help you understand the need for rules regardless of whether I enforce them 'gleefully' or not.

Sanuk!

Archived