What IS The Latest News On Red Shirts

bust

First time I saw one it was carried by a Thai soldier guarding the Skytrain. I had to look it up, since it was an impressive looking weapon I'd never seen before. Seems the Thai Army decided to buy a lot of Tavors, supposedly to replace the M16A1. It hasn't by any means though.

p.s. Stickman has spent some big money on his cameras, which is why his night photos are so good.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PM sends e-mail to UN chief

10:13am

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva had sent e-mail to secretary general of the United Nations Organisation Pan Ki-mun to explain the situation, acting government spokesman Panitan Wattanayakorn said today.

The prime minister had informed the UN chief that the ongoing political turmoil is an internal affair of Thailand and any intervention by agency of a foreign country would make no good to that country, he added.

Mr Panitan said the situation on Saturday night to Sunday morning was improving and that the tension has been eased.

[color:red]He admitted that men in military uniform had infiltrated and killed red-shirt protesters to incite violence.[/color]

The Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation was investigating.

Rink

Govt may announce curfew

10:46am

The meeting of the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES), chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, was considering whether a curfew is needed, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Sunday.

During his “Confidence in Thailand with PM Abhisit†weekly television programme on NBT, Mr Abhisit stated that the curfew might be needed to minimise casualties.

“The best way to prevent casualties is to end the rally, as the protest leads to violence, particularly when the protesters are armed,†he said.

Mr Abhisit said he had directed the education minister to order the postponement of the opening of schools in Bangkok from tomorrow to May 24 for safety reasons.

Rink

Bomb blast at Kae Rai bank

11:26am

A grenade was thrown at the Kae Rai branch of the Bangkok Bank in Nonthaburi late Saturday night, but no one was injured, said Pol Col Somsakchai Amornsongcharoen, Muang Nonthaburi police chief.

Police believed the bomb attack was politically motivated and was aimed at inciting trouble.

Nonthaburi governor Wichian Phutthiwinyu had visited the scene and had directed police to come up with additional security measures to protect branches of the Bangkok Bank in the province.

Rink

There is a very interesting article on the Bangkok Post website.

Third paragraph: "So how did this "Red City" in the heart of the capital come to be, with its own infrastructure and services able to feed and accommodate tens of thousands of protesters every day?"

They manage to make a very key observation and point: "It should also be mentioned that the red shirts were well organised and had strong financial support. To feed and look after thousands of people is a costly undertaking. Despite military and police checkpoints erected on major roads to Ratchaprasong, large trucks with food, water and other supplies were able to enter the area."

They do not, however, manage to ask the real question. Where is the money coming from?

Rink

Taking a look at Jane's and other similar stuff, seems the Thai army bought around thirty thousand tavor of which about fifteen thousand have been delivered.

Yes, this is an impressive weapon, bullpup config like the Famas, FNP90, SA80,Steyr AUG etc...

If it is to be the IDF standard weapon then it is certainly a good one, and if he info I found is correct -> The Thai army received the first batch even before the IDF Golani brigade (one of the elite IDF units) did.

So the units deployed in BKK are certainly among the best the Thai army has, allowed to toy with the latest hardware.

This explains IMO why there are so few dead.

-> Trained, quite professional soldiers, disciplined and respecting their CO's orders/rules of engagement/fire discipline.

Otherwise there would be hundreds of dead, assault rifles are so easy to use.

(and I am pretty sure more than a few soldiers have live rounds in their magazines)

Again, my hat to the Royal Thai Army.

So the units deployed in BKK are certainly among the best the Thai army has, allowed to toy with the latest hardware.

-> Trained, quite professional soldiers, disciplined and respecting their CO's orders/rules of engagement/fire discipline.

(and I am pretty sure more than a few soldiers have live rounds in their magazines)

:yeahthat:

So the units deployed in BKK are certainly among the best the Thai army has' date=' allowed to toy with the latest hardware.

[/quote']

:yeahthat:

Yeah that...or maybe the army doesn't want to kill the people they agree with? keep in mind this all goes to shit if the army revolts, mutineers or rebels etc...then the shit hits the fan...imagine an army comprised of poor Issaarn farmer's kids...oh wait you have that...can they shoot their own...? Will they change sides...? But I don't live in Thailand, so I may be wrong...?

Archived