How Do I Report Child Abuse???

What is "LE"???

LE = Law Enforcment. Before going federal, I was a cop in Atlanta Ga. I did one year assigned to children's services.

I'm not opposed to spanking, in general. However a parent should "cool down" first, explain what the child did wrong, and after the spanking, should embrace the child and should review why it happened.

Unless you are around the kid 24/7, how do you know this is not what is going on? Also, the way you describe the incident, it is NOT abuse under the elements of US Law. I doubt Thai Law is much different, but I could be wrong.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my limited experience Thais are much rougher with children than western parents. On a number of occassions in the past I have seen children manhandled in a way that I was uncomfortable with and vowed many years ago that if I ever had kids with a Thai then I would not allow them to be looked after by her family (as so often happens). Thankfully I've never had any and ain't going to start now.

What is "LE"???

LE = Law Enforcment. Before going federal' date=' I was a cop in Atlanta Ga. I did one year assigned to children's services...Also, the way you describe the incident, it is NOT abuse under the elements of US Law. I doubt Thai Law is much different, but I could be wrong.[/quote']

Wow, that totally shocks me. I thought it was illegal, in most US states to strike a child in the face. This totally blows me over.

I was severely, albeit infrequently, abused as a child and know well the lasting trauma of being hit in the face by a parent.

From my limited experience Thais are much rougher with children than western parents. On a number of occassions in the past I have seen children manhandled in a way that I was uncomfortable with and vowed many years ago that if I ever had kids with a Thai then I would not allow them to be looked after by her family (as so often happens). Thankfully I've never had any and ain't going to start now.

I can certainly sympathize with a stressed-out mom. And with all the horrors going on against children in this world, I'm sure my witnessing of this abuse pales by comparison. Maybe I'm a bit "hyper-sensitive" on this issue, having been a victim of abuse myself and I do care about the child in question. As you touched on above, babysitting is a position of trust.

I can certainly sympathize with a stressed-out mom. And with all the horrors going on against children in this world, I'm sure my witnessing of this abuse pales by comparison. Maybe I'm a bit "hyper-sensitive" on this issue, having been a victim of abuse myself and I do care about the child in question. As you touched on above, babysitting is a position of trust.

Again, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you were in the US and described how you sow this kid slapped, we would laugh in your face.

Even a child psych will tell you, from about 0 to 7, we learn by pain. It is evolution. You drop a pot on your foot, it hurts like hell, you dont do it again.

At 2, 3, 4, ect, that is how you learn because at that stage of development, you are just not going to comprehend rational thought. I was NEVER abused. But I was slapped and spanked. And when I reflect on it, the ones I can clearly remember, I certainly deserved it, no ifs, ands, or butts.

And remember you are in LOS. It is not like in the US. If you really piss a family off, here they can cause as much pain for you as they have money to do. And that can be extensive.

My advise is don't interfere.

I have worked for a government agency where my exposure to children living in questionable conditions was frequent but unless I was absolutely certain you just do your job and move to the next household of single digit IQs.

I would much rather see a child cop a slap (preferably not across the face) than be allowed to gourge themselves into obesity another form of child abuse. Or allowed to wonder the streets at night unsupervised.

Unless the child is at extreme risk which by the sound of things isn't....butt out.

I was holding my grandson earlier today when sudddenly he slapped me hard on the side of my mouth :surprised: . Then this afternoon, out of the blue, my wife told me that he likes to slap people. Apparently, he has slapped her and some people at the day care where he spends a lot of time. He's only one year old. :dunno:

I feel I need to reply as I was a child protection social worker in the UK for over 20 years. I don't know the procedures in Thailand, but in the UK if any member of the public was concerned about child abuse they could report it to social services or the police and their anonymity was guaranteed (thus no risk of reprisals).

The receiving agency would then discuss the report with the other lead agency (police or social services) and decide what action to take. In the case you present it would probably be an invitation to discuss any problems the mother was having with discipline with a specially trained social worker. No need for legal intervention.

However, in Thailand I suspect it is not so clear-cut. I know there are special units of the police dedicated to the protection of children and women, but I don't know what their exact role is. Maybe the best thing would be to discuss the situation with an NGO. In Pattaya we have the Father Ray Organisation that cares for children, and they are the people I would go to first in this situation. There may be something similar near where you live.

Hope this helps.

I was holding my grandson earlier today when sudddenly he slapped me hard on the side of my mouth :surprised: . Then this afternoon, out of the blue, my wife told me that he likes to slap people. Apparently, he has slapped her and some people at the day care where he spends a lot of time. He's only one year old. :dunno:

Gee, any idea where he might have learned that behavior? I was maybe 7 or so, when I got into a fight at school. The teacher asked "why did you hit him?" I said "because he mad me mad, and didn't do what I said" the teacher said "oh, do your parents hit you for the same reason?" I said "Yes." Get the point? I was placed in foster care about a year later...

My advise is don't interfere.

I have worked for a government agency where my exposure to children living in questionable conditions was frequent but unless I was absolutely certain you just do your job and move to the next household of single digit IQs.

I would much rather see a child cop a slap (preferably not across the face) than be allowed to gourge themselves into obesity another form of child abuse. Or allowed to wonder the streets at night unsupervised.

Unless the child is at extreme risk which by the sound of things isn't....butt out.

Did it ever occur to you, that people become obese as a result of child abuse? Look into that...

I can certainly sympathize with a stressed-out mom. And with all the horrors going on against children in this world' date=' I'm sure my witnessing of this abuse pales by comparison. Maybe I'm a bit "hyper-sensitive" on this issue, having been a victim of abuse myself and I do care about the child in question. As you touched on above, babysitting is a position of trust.[/quote']

Again, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you were in the US and described how you sow this kid slapped, we would laugh in your face.

Even a child psych will tell you, from about 0 to 7, we learn by pain. It is evolution. You drop a pot on your foot, it hurts like hell, you dont do it again.

At 2, 3, 4, ect, that is how you learn because at that stage of development, you are just not going to comprehend rational thought. I was NEVER abused. But I was slapped and spanked. And when I reflect on it, the ones I can clearly remember, I certainly deserved it, no ifs, ands, or butts.

And remember you are in LOS. It is not like in the US. If you really piss a family off, here they can cause as much pain for you as they have money to do. And that can be extensive.

You have no idea how wrong you are. Almost any expert on kids will tell you hitting does no good at all, with the possible exception of correcting an immediate dangerous situation. But slapping the face? chip some teeth? bust a lip? miss and hit the eye?

Get hit enough times, and you learn to take it, and it loses it's effect. You then go out and hit others, as that is what you have been taught.

Now to all the real tough guys who think it is ok to beat children...first off, FUCK YOU! second of all, if it is ok to hit a defenseless child, why isn't it ok to hit your girl friend or wife, or someone smaller than you every time they piss you off? Why do people hit defenseless kids, then turn around and say "I was disciplining them, don't ell me how to raise my kids..." yet if you smack your wife, the same defense doesn't work...? flaw in the system?

Beating kids only teaches them that violence is an option. Kids who suffer abuse grow into abusive adults with all sorts of issues...believe me! Some of you guys have no fucking clue what you are talking about at all, nor do you have any idea what being hit, or abused does to you.

Archived