USA election thread - If you're not interested, then don't look!

Flashermac

Well, he succeeded in confronting his booze problem; he succeeded in being elected as Governor of Texas; he was TWICE elected POTUS; he succeeded in becoming a fighter pilot. He graduated from Yale and Harvard. Only a Demoncrat would think that those accomplishments were less than being a "community organizer".

As for being the "worst POTUS ever", that's a value judgement. He's already looking better than your man Obama...and we won't even mention Carter, as that would be too easy.

No such thing as "addiction to pussy"? LOL. Ok...called it an "obsession".

A serious nutjob like Michelle Bachmann has gotten elected. Twice.

A ham sandwich could get elected if it has a powerful backing machine like the Bush clan.

I'm not sold that W can fly jets. What happened in those AWOL years in the TANG that he's kept hidden? Why? Regardless, he never finished that obligation either evidently.

Carter had a higher GDP growth than any GOPer since and including Reagan. Suck on that.

W was the first POTUS to preside over zero job growth.

*Senator* Obama and the Dems saved the country from going over the cliff, despite the GOPers fighting to steer it over.

Pretty clear to anyone but the Scarecrow.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I met Teddy Kennedy during the 1960 campaign when I was a high school kid. He was already living on the family name and did so for much of his early life. He's supposed to have been a fairly decent senator, though he'd have never got there if he had been Ted Murphy or Ted Schwartz. He also pissed me off by trying to cut off all aid to South Vietnam after the US had withdrawn - and when the USSR and PRC were pouring military suopplies into Hanoi faster than ever. I remember Teddy Bird complaining in Congress that the Americans had been gone for over a year and the South was still resisting!

TK has never been one of my heroes, but I liked Bobby Kennedy. Many have said he was the best of the brothers - shame he got murdered in L.A. I've always wondered if J. Edgar hadn't allowed it to happen, as he did to MLK.

<< I'm not sold that W can fly jets. What happened in those AWOL years in the TANG that he's kept hidden? Why? Regardless, he never finished that obligation either evidently. >>

Guess again. He wasn't AWOL. ANG occifers had to do so many hours duty each year and GWB managed to squeeze in the absolute minimum towards the end. That is NO secret - the records are available, nothing to be proud of but nothing illegal either. This was when the US was withdrawing from South Vietnam and cutting back on the military. Bushie got an early out, but so did John Kerry. They both finished their obligation, if in a shamming sort of way.

If you're not convinced he could fly jets, a helluva lot of ANG occifers were. The records are there for anyone to see, if they want. Still, Bushie got special treatment because of his daddy. Who else got to jump a waiting list of hundreds to enlist in the ANG? Who else finished boot camp and got made a 2dLT on the spot? (I did so well in Basic Combat Training that they made me a buck private.) Of course, John Kerry managed to enlist and get commissioned at a time the Navy told me they were not taking anyone. He also got medals for things enlisted men got told "was their duty". (I've still got a rejected award citation that says just that on it. EM were supposed to take chances, officers weren't.)

Some folks are special in America, get used to it. LBJ enlisted in the Navy in WWII and was immediately made a Lieutenant Commander. He spent six months active duty, made one flight in a bomber than never entered combat - and got awarded a Silver Star for valour for the flight! (No one else on the plane got anything and LBJ was just an observer.) At least JFK played by the rules and got his medals for getting his PT boat rammed and sunk. :dunno:

TK flopped on Vietnam, even by his own admission. He tries to explain his change of attitude, but it's not convincing. That's one thing that always confounded me about politics as a young person while you guys were going to war. Say what you want about nutjobs like Eldridge Cleaver or George Wallace. I don't know where they stood on the war, but at least they spoke their minds and weren't trying to be somewhere in the middle. If you're going to get in a fight, get it over and be done with it.

There's some pretty insightful opinion in the book as to LBJ's mindset on the war.

And by all accounts, yes, RFK was the one with the real balls in the family!

Mormons? :hmmm:

RFK wanted compulsary military service and with NO exemptions. When you turned 18, you went in for 4 years. But when you got out you had your college, university or vocational education completely paid for (as in the WWII GI Bill). Rich kids, politicians kids ... everybody went. He scared the shite out of the wealthy and politicians and had to be stopped!

A ham sandwich could get elected if it has a powerful backing machine like the Bush clan.

I'm not sold that W can fly jets. What happened in those AWOL years in the TANG that he's kept hidden? Why? Regardless, he never finished that obligation either evidently.

Carter had a higher GDP growth than any GOPer since and including Reagan. Suck on that.

W was the first POTUS to preside over zero job growth.

*Senator* Obama and the Dems saved the country from going over the cliff, despite the GOPers fighting to steer it over.

Pretty clear to anyone but the Scarecrow.

Kind of tells the whole story...Demoncrats want to avoid the story of the recent elections. I wouldn't want to discuss it either, if I were one. You have to go back 70 years to find a similar butt-kicking.

Face it LK...your liberal/progressive/left-wing/commie komrads have put the Demoncrats back years and years. The electorate (at least that part that isn't a liberal or sworn Demoncrap or has more than one brain cell) saw what your fellow travellers were up to and rejected it. It's a fact that you can't deny. Grin and bare it buddy.

(Oh...and here's hoping that Pelosi is elected to continue leading the Demonraps in the House. Couldn't find a better campaigner for conservatives. I suspect, though, she'll have to get back into the wind tunnel to get rid of some of the wrinkles she's accumulated in the last couple of weeks.)

Just rumo(u)r, but I hear the TV talk show producers are already booking Obama for 2013 when his memoirs are published...and I understand the Obama library has broken ground also...some place Obie picked out in Indonesia...some mosque, no doubt 55555555555

HH

Why do you keep blaming the liberals? The conservatives keep fucking up as well...ALL of these shit bags, regardless of party suck donkey balls and will never do anything to benefit the country, it is all about them, and the people who control them and pull their strings...BIG BUSINESS and special interests...

The country is pretty much split down the middle politically...neither side will compromise and do what needs to be done to fix the country...both want it all their way or no way...compromise just isn't a word to any of these people, regardless of party...

I blame Frank Lorenzo and Carl Icahn for everything that's gone wrong in my life. And every other airline exec for that matter. And Senator Kennedy and Jimmy Carter for deregulation. And President Reagan for what he did to the ATC guys (that one really pissed me off - stranded me in Cabo for a couple of days. You know the airline credo: no excuses for missing work when you're traveling on free standby tickets. I nearly lost my job over that and had to go to great lengths to get home). You're right, assholes belong to both parties.

Archived