U.S. Government Seizes BitTorrent Search Engine Domain and More

Flashermac

Written by enigmax on November 26, 2010

Following on the heels of this week’s domain seizure of a large hiphop file-sharing links forum, it’s clear today that the U.S. Government has been very busy. Without any need for COICA, ICE has just seized the domain of a BitTorrent meta-search engine along with those belonging to other music linking sites and several others which appear to be connected to physical counterfeit goods.

While complex, it’s still possible for U.S. authorities and copyright groups to point at a fully-fledged BitTorrent site with a tracker and say “that’s an infringing site.†When one looks at a site which hosts torrents but operates no tracker, the finger pointing becomes quite a bit more difficult.

When a site has no tracker, carries no torrents, lists no copyright works unless someone searches for them and responds just like Google, accusing it of infringement becomes somewhat of a minefield – unless you’re ICE Homeland Security Investigations that is.

This morning, visitors to the Torrent-Finder.com site are greeted with an ominous graphic which indicates that ICE have seized the site’s domain.

“My domain has been seized without any previous complaint or notice from any court!†the exasperated owner of Torrent-Finder told TorrentFreak this morning.

“I firstly had DNS downtime. While I was contacting GoDaddy I noticed the DNS had changed. Godaddy had no idea what was going on and until now they do not understand the situation and they say it was totally from ICANN,†he explained.

Aside from the fact that domains are being seized seemingly at will, there is a very serious problem with the action against Torrent-Finder. Not only does the site not host or even link to any torrents whatsoever, it actually only returns searches through embedded iframes which display other sites that are not under the control of the Torrent-Finder owner.

Torrent-Finder remains operational through another URL, Torrent-Finder.info, so feel free to check it out for yourself. The layouts of the sites it searches are clearly visible in the results shown.

Yesterday we reported that the domain of hiphop site RapGodFathers had been seized and today we can reveal that they are not on their own. Two other music sites in the same field – OnSmash.com and DaJaz1.com – have fallen to the same fate. But ICE activities don’t end there.

Several other domains also appear to have been seized including 2009jerseys.com, nfljerseysupply.com, throwbackguy.com, cartoon77.com, lifetimereplicas.com, handbag9.com, handbagcom.com and dvdprostore.com.

All seized sites point to the same message.

Domain seizures coming under the much debated ‘censorship bill’ COICA? Who needs it?

List of seized sites

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't understand about the whole "file sharing" crap is this...why is it illegal for me to share a cd/movie/file with someone, but it is not illegal for me to sell it at a used CD/dvd shop, and they can resell/rebuy it as many times as they want with out ever paying a commission to the producers? Same with books and CDs DVDs etc...the original producer is out the money either way.

What I don't understand about the whole "file sharing" crap is this...why is it illegal for me to share a cd/movie/file with someone, but it is not illegal for me to sell it at a used CD/dvd shop, and they can resell/rebuy it as many times as they want with out ever paying a commission to the producers? Same with books and CDs DVDs etc...the original producer is out the money either way.

As I recall the one time I looked into it, you buying a licensed item like a book or CD, it is yours and you can keep it sell it burn it. What you can not do is copy it and sell the copy, which is pretty much the file sharing is all about.

Hi,

OH, I am sure we've been over this before :)

If you sell it, you do NOT have the product anymore. There is still only one product, and it was paid for.

If you copy & share it, you STILL have the product as well. There is now one product that was paid for and one that was not.

Sanuk!

We have been over that part of it...the part I am again questioning is why the new owner has to pay a fee to register it and use it...this does not happen with CDs, movies books etc...all of which can be sold and resold, and NO additional fees or royalties paid...maybe the software guys just did a better job protecting themselves? or is it a specific set of laws that protects soft ware as opposed to other media? to date, I have not gotten a clear definitive answer.

Example, I buy a product, a "media product." I use it, decide I don't want it, I sell it to you, you use it, decide you don't want it, sell it and on and on. The original creator only got 1 cut from the original sale. There is still only the 1 copy going around.

If it is a soft ware product, the laws are clear, and the manufacturer can collect another cut...not so with other media...I am asking why the difference under the law. We are not talking about buying 1 item and copying it 1000+ times. I am talking about 1 item being bought and sold many times, with no additional revenue for the original manufacturer.

To me it should all be the same. Harder to track books and CDs for now I suppose, but that will most likely change with downloadable music and books.

my 10 cents worth

In the old days a minstrel would travel from village to village and entertain.

He/She would be paid for performance.

Children and others could sing those songs as many times as they wanted to, free of charge.

Someone invented a method to record songs and music.

They then charged for copies.

Enter large record companies.

People could then become richer (bigger) than Jesus.

Other people worked out they could record songs and music for themselves.

This becomes very popular.

Large record companies lose out on their perceived "rights" to the music and songs.

and fast forward to the future...

Very popular music and songwriters make more money performing and use the internet to distribute their work for small amounts of money. Making it cheaper to get the real thing than to pirate it.

Large record companies cry into their beer.....

JMHO

Back in the 1980s US recording stars forced the Thai govmt to crack down on the pirated tape cassette recordings. You could buy albums for 35 baht. The stars and recording companies screamed until the pirated casettes disappeared. Then you had to pay 300 to 500 baht for a genuine tape. This was when the average monthly income for a Thai family was about 3,000 baht! I'm supposed to feel sorry for multi-millionaire stars? Fuckem.

Also, some years ago I recall that a genuine version of Thai Windows cost more than the US version did in the States. WTF?

Archived