Navy leaves Thai captives in Somalia

Flashermac

Bangkok Post

8 Jan 2011

The Royal Thai Navy has wrapped up its anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden, despite the fact that 27 Thai crewmen remain captives on a cargo ship seized by Somali pirates.

It plans to return home on Jan 20, but insists its mission was a success even though it has failed to rescue the Thai hostages.

Admiral Takerngsak Wangkaew, the navy's chief of staff, said yesterday the navy had decided to end its mission after failing to make progress in negotiations for the return of the Thai-flagged cargo ship MV Thor Nexus seized by Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean on Dec 24.

The ship was en route to Bangladesh from the United Arab Emirates when she was taken.

The navy insisted it had ensured the 27 Thai crew taken hostage on board the ship were safe before the decision was made to head home.

The pirates had taken the cargo ship into Somali waters. Following the vessel or taking her back by force would be too dangerous, he said.

HTMS Similan and HTMS Pattani, which took part in international efforts to patrol the Gulf of Aden, lifted anchor and started their return journey to Thailand on Tuesday.

"The company that owns the ship will continue the negotiations," Adm Takerngsak said. The MV Thor Nexus is owned by Thoresen Thai Agencies.

A grand ceremony will be held to welcome the ships back to Thai waters on Jan 20 in Sattahip.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you, "A grand ceremony" is called for.

Now if they'd not gone there at all, it'd be "A grand grand ceremony"

and if they'd gone, engaged and suffered heavy losses and only just managed to get out with a skeleton crew and a heavily damaged boat, it'd be "A grand grand grand ceremony"

but then I labour the point :)

... it would be worst to attempt a rescue and end up with a bunch of dead Thai hostages.

I'll disagree here. A rescue attempt, successful or not would send a message that this shit has to stop. No ransoms will be paid and anyone taking hostages may well die in the process. We need to let these ass hats know that they will be dealt with, and not appeased. I say Kill them all and let god sort them out.

What amazes me is that all of these hijacked ships apparently are in one Somali harbour. Couldn't Navy SEALs or simply commandos raid the place, kill a few hundred of the pirates and break up the party?

Apparently, the only thing stopping that is the shipping companies - who'd rather pay ransom than risk losing their ships. :dunno:

p.s. The Thais are still better than the Indian Navy, which saw armed pirates aboard a captured Thai fishing boat and immediately opened fire - sinking the boat and killing 14 of the 15 the Thai captives. Hopefully, the Indians managed to kill a few pirates too. :dunno:

What amazes me is that all of these hijacked ships apparently are in one Somali harbour. Couldn't Navy SEALs or simply commandos raid the place, kill a few hundred of the pirates and break up the party?

Apparently, the only thing stopping that is the shipping companies - who'd rather pay ransom than risk losing their ships. :dunno:

p.s. The Thais are still better than the Indian Navy, which saw armed pirates aboard a captured Thai fishing boat and immediately opened fire - sinking the boat and killing 14 of the 15 the Thai captives. Hopefully, the Indians managed to kill a few pirates too. :dunno:

As far as I know, it is impossible to free the captives, once the ships are in Somali waters. This would probably be a suicide missing and the captives would get killed.

This also means that it is stupid to say that the Thai navy abandons the captured Thai - it doesn't matter for them at all.

Archived