Egypt

Coss

I know this is a USA "forum", but what are the views of the EU countries? Surely, there must be worthy pundits there.

HH

Actually, they don't know what do.

The situation is completely in flux and they neither want kick Mubarak good bye, since he is still in power and an extremely important ally among the arabs, nor do the know whom to support within the very unstructured opposition movement.

Personally I think, it is best for the EU to act very carefully, because the whole situation can change at any time. The reality is that Mubarak was the leader of a corrupt regime, but at the same time he guaranteed stability in one of the most unstable regions of the world. On the other hand, the strongest opposition force is the Muslim Brotherhood which almost probably will make the situation much more difficult for the West and Isreal.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Egypt get democracy, it'll be the first time won't it?

I gather that they've never, not even with the Pharoahs, been able to vote?

So the proles have always been subservient?

mmmm.....

5,000 years of subservience training, what are the women like?

Anyone had Sanuk in Egypt without hairy eybrows frightening you?

The military is also a very powerful group in Egypt and could end up being the 'kingmaker'. From what I have seen many of the soldiers are on friendly terms with the demonstrators. I think the generals are taking a wait and see approach. They are either sympathetic with the demonstrators and/or see the writing on the wall. They are the best check against the very popular Moslem Brotherhood from what I can tell. I could be wrong, but its from the little I know and what I've read so far.

Archived