Egypt

Coss

Came in late, and I'm sure it has been mentioned, but the possibility that this will spread to other Arab countries is 'interesting', to put it mildly. Pro-democracy types aren't the only ones interested in regime change in places like Saudi Arabia. i hope the moderate voices in Egypt arent drowned out by the nutters.

Do you really hold out hope for moderate thinking in the middle east :beer:

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't let neocon propaganda whip you up Steve. The Muslim Brotherhood is quite savvy. They know most of the protestors are young educated types. Personally I don't see an Iran situation developing in Egypt. I think the next leader is more likely to be a military man. The army seems popular. Perhaps Mubarrak made Omar Suleiman VP as an interim solution?

http://www.haaretz.com/news/international/egypt-protesters-and-soldiers-the-army-and-the-people-are-one-1.339985

They know most of the protestors are young educated types.

I fear you are mistaken in that assumption.

BB

Don't let neocon propaganda whip you up Steve. The Muslim Brotherhood is quite savvy. They know most of the protestors are young educated types. Personally I don't see an Iran situation developing in Egypt. I think the next leader is more likely to be a military man. The army seems popular. Perhaps Mubarrak made Omar Suleiman VP as an interim solution?

http://www.haaretz.com/news/international/egypt-protesters-and-soldiers-the-army-and-the-people-are-one-1.339985

BB

Mistaken?

Thanks for clarifying that for everyone. It is wrong, of course, to assume that Arabs can be educated.

If an Arab wants a representative government they must be a terrorist, right?

BB

My assumption is based purely on what I've seen on TV, interviews with protestors, blog postings Twitter etc. They seem to be largely young and middle class. But I am certainly open to being corrected if you can back your statement up with statistics.

BB

My assumption is based purely on what I've seen on TV' date=' interviews with protestors, blog postings Twitter etc. They seem to be largely young and middle class. But I am certainly open to being corrected if you can back your statement up with statistics.

[/quote']

Same here, but from what I do understand, most are poor and unemployed.

As per your previous postings, it is about lack of money, high food prices, lack of work that is triggering the revolutions. Same same Tunesia.

Of course, 30+ years of dictatorship does not help.

BB

Apparently the wealthy elite form about 1% of the population. They live behind gates and walls. The majority are poor people doing menial work. In the middle is a merchant class who stand to lose by unrest. Their children are students and sympathetic to the protestors. The protestors come from the same demographic as in Tunisia. They have education to a certain level but no jobs. If they complain they get arrested and beaten up with iron bars.

Not so sure. The world lives in a world that is western dominated to varying degrees. They are all aware of the concept. Many immigrants that come and have come to America came from countries that had no democracy and they came looking for it because they understood the concept.

I think western style democracy is fairly well known the world over and wanted. Even in moslem countries.

From what I have read, many legal immigrants don't vote here. Many immigrants I work with maintain a strong intelligence to the country they left, Filipinos and Chinese being among the worst with this. A lot of Indians, Pakistanis, Arabs etc, seem to have to real goal in coming here, other than to have a better life, that is, by exercising the freedoms they have here to make money they could not in their home country.

In short, the goal seems to be make as much as you can here, and return home with it, and live like a king...politics, democracy etc all seem of no real importance to many of these people.

Let me add, many people born in the USA don't even bother to vote or be involved in political education. Few know what the issues are, and vote on image rather than issues that really effect them. AT times I think many here don't really know what we have or why...

The stats say 71.4% of the population is literate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Egypt

Egypt has a very extensive higher education system. About 30% of all Egyptians in the relevant age group go to university. However, only half of them graduate. According to The Economist, standards of education at Egyptian public universities are "abysmal".

To compare it, Amrica has a litteracy rate of 99% over the age of 15.

27% of Americans have a college degree (surprised e frankly that it was that high).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_United_States

Among the country's adult population, over 85 percent have completed high school and 27 percent have received a bachelor's degree or higher

So, make what you will of the Egyptian educated in terms of numbers.

Archived