Egypt

Coss

Fascinating situation. Caught a lot of people by surprise. Here's an article about the Muslim Brotherhood for Steve...

"The moment is bigger than any individual force or actor," Hossam Bahgat, executive director of the Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights, said Sunday. [color:red]"The Brothers have been effectively sidelined."[/color]

The outpouring of so many different elements of society in the demonstrations has to have taught the Muslim Brotherhood a lesson, he said. "They must realize now that there's no way they represent the majority."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/30/AR2011013003308.html

Sidelined for now. Those, in this case the young and unaffiliated, who started the revolution are usually those who will be sidelined first - this was also the case during the unification in Germany. Often the best organized and most ruthless group wins, and I guess that this is the Broterhood.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the leadership of Israel and their pundits can cry all they want. In spite of my "grief", I'm not losing any sleep over some perceived problems they have with the U.S. I'm tired of helping prop up Israel and taking shit from a good part of the Middle East for doing so. What the "F" have the Israeli's done for us lately? Let's stop borrowing money to give to the Israeli's and pay down our debt.

HH

Fascinating situation. Caught a lot of people by surprise. Here's an article about the Muslim Brotherhood for Steve...

"The moment is bigger than any individual force or actor," Hossam Bahgat, executive director of the Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights, said Sunday. "The Brothers have been effectively sidelined."

The outpouring of so many different elements of society in the demonstrations has to have taught the Muslim Brotherhood a lesson, he said. "They must realize now that there's no way they represent the majority."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/30/AR2011013003308.html

Thanks Chuck, I think their popularity stemmed also from them being the most vociferous opponent of Mubarak. I hope its a moderate government that is in there.

If they have free and open elections and this seems likely now, we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. There are moderate voices out there that would split the vote.

Well, the leadership of Israel and their pundits can cry all they want. In spite of my "grief", I'm not losing any sleep over some perceived problems they have with the U.S. I'm tired of helping prop up Israel and taking shit from a good part of the Middle East for doing so. What the "F" have the Israeli's done for us lately? Let's stop borrowing money to give to the Israeli's and pay down our debt.

HH

Even Israel acknowledge Mubarak has done some F'd up things to his country but as long as they kept the peace a blind eye was turned. Totally self serving reaction from Israel and hypocritical. A whole nation should suffer for political expediency. I understand the bunker mentality given their history but its not an excuse.

If Israel were smart they'd place themselves politically with whomever takes over. Mubarak can't be saved. He's dead politically so it doesn't matter what the USA does frankly. If Israel were smart they'd issue a statement saying while they valued Mubarak as a friend and ally they also recognize that Egyptian people have spoken and they are prepared to continue the peace with Egypt and whomever is the face of the government.

I don't think the young protesters pay much attention to the old mullah types anymore. There's a kind of liberal Islam evolving. The US needs to be careful not to alienate them.

Mubarak's speech may be designed to split the protesters.

Do you think it will spread to the US Hugh? What if the teabaggers decide to get out on the streets? Will we see a march on Washington lead by Sarah Palin in a red, white and blue swim suit, twirling her baton?

If Israel were smart they'd place themselves politically with whomever takes over. Mubarak can't be saved. He's dead politically so it doesn't matter what the USA does frankly. If Israel were smart they'd issue a statement saying while they valued Mubarak as a friend and ally they also recognize that Egyptian people have spoken and they are prepared to continue the peace with Egypt and whomever is the face of the government.

Excellent advice. Get it over to your local Israeli Embassy. :content:

I'm still tired of Israel thinking it's our 51st without any responsibilities and trying to have 50 Senators (officially) assigned to it.

HH

Well' date=' the leadership of Israel and their pundits can cry all they want. In spite of my "grief", I'm not losing any sleep over some perceived problems they have with the U.S. I'm tired of helping prop up Israel and taking shit from a good part of the Middle East for doing so. What the "F" have the Israeli's done for us lately? Let's stop borrowing money to give to the Israeli's and pay down our debt.

HH[/quote']

Even Israel acknowledge Mubarak has done some F'd up things to his country but as long as they kept the peace a blind eye was turned. Totally self serving reaction from Israel and hypocritical. A whole nation should suffer for political expediency. I understand the bunker mentality given their history but its not an excuse.

I think they feel completely helpless and are in denial know. First it had been made public that the Palestines had offered them huge and substantial concessions in the past years, while they offered nothing in return. And now their only Arab partner is going down.

Just have a look at their version of the uprising:

Who is advising them, he asked, "to fuel the mob raging in the streets of Egypt..."

Jordan's king fires Cabinet amid protests

AMMAN, Jordan (AP) -- Jordan's King Abdullah II, bowing to public pressure, fired his government on Tuesday and tasked a new prime minister with quickly boosting economic opportunities and giving Jordanians a greater say in politics.

The country's powerful Muslim opposition, which had demanded the dismissal of Prime Minister Samir Rifai in several nationwide protests inspired by those in Tunisia and Egypt, said the changes didn't go far enough.

Jordan's most powerful opposition group, the Muslim Brotherhood, dismissed the changes as cosmetic.

"We reject the new prime minister and we will continue our protests until our demands are met," said Hamza Mansour, leader of the Islamic Action Front, the Brotherhood's political arm.

More

'Al-Qaida on brink of using nuclear bomb'

Al-Qaida is on the verge of producing radioactive weapons after sourcing nuclear material and recruiting rogue scientists to build "dirty" bombs, according to leaked diplomatic documents.

A leading atomic regulator has privately warned that the world stands on the brink of a "nuclear 9/11".

Security briefings suggest that jihadi groups are also close to producing "workable and efficient" biological and chemical weapons that could kill thousands if unleashed in attacks on the West.

Ain't life just wonderful? :hmmm:

Well' date=' the leadership of Israel and their pundits can cry all they want. In spite of my "grief", I'm not losing any sleep over some perceived problems they have with the U.S. I'm tired of helping prop up Israel and taking shit from a good part of the Middle East for doing so. What the "F" have the Israeli's done for us lately? Let's stop borrowing money to give to the Israeli's and pay down our debt.

HH[/quote']

I think they feel completely helpless and are in denial know. First it had been made public that the Palestines had offered them huge and substantial concessions in the past years, while they offered nothing in return. And now their only Arab partner is going down.

Just have a look at their version of the uprising:

Who is advising them, he asked, "to fuel the mob raging in the streets of Egypt..."

I would ask them when has the right for free and fair elections and self determination 'a mob raging in the streets'? I would also ask for their suggestions to the people who as a majority don't want Mubara, what they should do? They won't have one.

Irsael's own history was the same thing. Didn't they fight for their independence? And wasn't it far, far more bloody? The restraint shown by the Egyptia people so far is actually amazing given the reputation of the region (although things can change) Hypocracy on the part of the Israelis. I'm a zionist. I have nothing against Israel as a state. This is one of those times they need to stop being self-centered and get on the moral side of things.

Archived